07 | dreams & fights

0 7

dreams & fights

SURE ENOUGH, THERE was a hell of a lot of food on the S.S. Justice. In fact, there was a full-fledged barbecue happening on the deck when I emerged from the pool room, and I was the last one to get there. Theo was manning the grill like an expert, his date was angling a selfie to get as much of her face and as much of his chiseled body into the frame as she possibly could — most likely to acquire bragging rights, and Teddy happened to be sitting around a laptop with Jack. And what should've been the biggest reason as to why I didn't want for Teddy to be here on the beach with us became suddenly apparent.

"Hey there," Theo said with a wave towards me that I returned as cordially as I could. I still didn't know where Theo and I stood, with all things considered — like me walking in on him in a compromising position at the office — but I felt like that was all in my head and that he had no qualms with me. "Food will be done quick. In the meantime, treat yourself to something to drink."

By something to drink, he meant something from the cooler by the railing of the ship, or in other words, something alcoholic. Chances were, I would probably need it.

"Thank you," I said as I made my way to grab a beer. For such a massive boat, the deck didn't have much furniture on it besides the table where Teddy and Jack just happened to be sitting. My legs were all pruned from the water, so I really felt like sitting down which left me one option and one option only. I pulled out the chair across from Teddy, trying to be like him and send a beaming smile his way. "What are you two looking at over there?"

"The boat man is asking me questions about my life," Jack said, causing Teddy to look up in shock. It was the first time we made eye contact since ten minutes ago which wasn't strange in real life, but something about the two of us and the way he had stormed out on me earlier made it feel like I had come home from war. Of course, by the way Teddy looked back down at his laptop, he didn't seem to feel the same way.

But that was the least of my problems as of now. What was a lot more pressing was the fact that Teddy had the audacity to go over my head in this investigation to try and weasel details from out of a five year old child. Or at least I hoped he wasn't doing anything of the sort. The look on his face, of course, said otherwise.

"I think Ms. Marilyn wants to talk to me in private," he said quietly to Jack before getting up from the table and crossing over to me. As he made his way closer, I couldn't help but finally get a good look at his amazing body; all the way from his tousled hair, to his solid chest, to his toned legs. He wasn't as pretty as Caleb, but wow, he and his brother were both absolutely stunning for two twins who were just fraternal and not identical.

"Yes," I said, catching myself, "I do want to talk to you, Edward." Teddy raised an eyebrow at my use of his full name. "Over there, please?"

Over there was referring to the far side of the deck where the two of us would be out of earshot from everyone else. Teddy didn't seem all that enthused to be following me all the way over here, but he didn't seem to be all that enthused about me in general, as if I had hurt his feelings or something. I really hoped not, because that was the last thing I needed. Feelings complicated everything. Even already complicated things like trying to investigate the family you worked for in order to legitimize unsupported accusations of embezzlement made against them with help from an obnoxious lawyer with an unwavering dedication to justice that apparently meant he didn't feel he was above trying to pry some kind of confession from out of a toddler. That recipe for disaster didn't need any added flavor.