Harry Needs Another Book

*This book is rubbish. Can I pop in for a different one?

Not 20 minutes after they'd left I received a text from what must have been Harry. I caught myself smiling and wondered if he really wanted another book or if he wanted to see me.

'Why would he want to see me?' I thought and shook my head, assuming I had imagined the chemistry between us. Perhaps working nights and not having enough human interaction was starting to get to my head, but I texted back.

*I just finished reopening the store..... Give me a minute to get it locked up again

*Thnx I'll be right down

Ignoring the fluttering in my heart and convincing myself he really wanted a book, I set about locking the door and closing the curtains to keep the Directioners at bay. Just when I had started to convince myself this was a routine book sale with a regular customer, a knock on the door sent my heart aflutter again.

'Damn, Ellie, get yourself together!' I mentally scolded myself and walked to the back door. I opened it an inch to ensure it was in fact him, (and surprisingly just him, no security) before letting him into the shop.

"No security guard this time?" I was surprised he was allowed out on his own.

"You scared him off with your umbrella," he teased with a cute smile, and that adorable dimple appeared on his cheek again. "No, actually he doesn't know I left."

So he snuck out just to get a book? Seems suspicious, but I tried to keep my head on straight. Perhaps it was because he was out on his own unprotected, or because he wasn't with his friend, but he seemed a little less secure, less sure of himself. I shrugged it off and let him wander the shelves.

"Ellie," he asked after finding his way to the register where I was sitting at the counter reading a book.

"Hmm?" I looked up from my book to see his soft greenish-gray eyes looking back at me.

"Can you help me find a book?" He asked.

I found my bookmark and set my book down to give him my full attention. "Sure. It's not like it's my job or anything."

"That's cheeky." He smiled, and I felt myself losing my grip on my confidence. My attempt at humor was my only defense, and even that was failing. "What're you reading?" He turned his head to try to read the title on the spine of my book.

"Nothing you'd be interested in," blushing, I pulled the book off the counter.

"It's not that 50 Shades book, is it?" He scrunched his nose in distaste. "Because if it is, you'd be right; that's not my cup of tea."

I laughed and put the book back on the counter. "It's just a Nicholas Sparks novel, you know, the guy who wrote The Notebook."

"That's nothing to be embarrassed about; I love that movie!" He smiled, and pulled the book closer to look at the cover.

"So, if you didn't like that last book you got, what exactly is your cup of tea?" I asked, using the phrase he'd used earlier because it made me feel smart.

"Someone recommended that book to me, but I'm not really in the mood for poetry." He put my book down and glanced at the display of new books on the counter.

"Then what are you in the mood for?" I asked, and realized that could be taken out of context, and almost hoped he would take it out of context. Maybe that was what he actually wanted and the book was a ruse?

"I don't know. I'm just...." he stared off at nothing for a moment. "I guess I'm lonely."

'Be professional, Ellie, do not offer to have sex with him!' I mentally reminded myself and tried to come up with a witty comeback. "The self-help section is right over there; I'm sure we have a book on how to make friends." I teased, which drew a small smile from him and he returned his gaze to me. "How are you lonely? Aren't you surrounded by people all the time?"