Harry Who? Part 2 [Alternate Ending]

A/N: This alternate ending starts after chapter 28: Harry Who? Part 1. I had originally posted the alternate ending as a separate story, but I decided to put it here instead. Enjoy! : )  

"Harry who?" She asked and looked over my face carefully, and I felt like I'd been shot. I wanted to hold her in my arms, tell her everything would be okay. I touched her hand and tried to hold it, but she pulled away. I blinked away a few tears and tried to be strong for her, even if she didn't know who I was.

"One year ago, I came into your bookstore because I was lonely," I looked into her eyes for some kind of recognition. "You gave me 'Anne of Green Gables' to read, except this version had vampires."

She stared back at me, her eyes wide and tinged with fear. "I don't know who you are, and I've never worked in a book store."

"Sir, she needs to rest," the paramedic said, and I leaned back, still staring at Ellie.

We arrived at the hospital a moment later and she was wheeled out of the ambulance. I tried to follow, but they instructed me to go to the waiting room and contact her family.

First, Gemma and mum arrived, and by that evening Scott and her parents had joined us. It seemed like hours before the doctor had any news. No broken bones, but she had, as the paramedic suggested, suffered a severe concussion. She would not be able to see many visitors tonight besides her family, so we went home.

I did not get any sleep, and I was back at the hospital as early as could. Her parents and Scott were in the waiting room sleeping. Scott woke up when I approached him and said it was bad, and her memory did not seem to be improving.

"She asked for Glen," Scott bit his lip, and it felt like I'd been hit by a truck.

"Her ex-boyfriend?" I stammered, and sat down before I fell over.

"To her, he's not her ex." Scott said quietly. "I think she thinks this is that first accident, back in college, where she broke enough bones to sideline her career."

"But that was-" my voice failed me when I realized how many years were missing from her memory.

"Two and a half years," Scott finished my sentence. "I'm so sorry."

"Can I see her," I croaked, blinking tears from my eyes.

"Are you sure? I don't think that's a good idea."

"I need to see her," I stood up. I needed to see for myself that my own girlfriend wouldn't recognize who I was..

"Okay, but I'm coming with you. I don't know how she'll react to seeing you," Scott led me to her room, and the nurse said it was okay to visit, but don't let her get upset.

The room was dark, and her eyes were closed. I imagined she would open them, and be the Ellie I had known yesterday. She'd smile, and say she missed me, and ask how filming was going.

But she did not. When she opened her eyes, she saw Scott, and eyed me warily. My throat was too tight to speak, so I let Scott do the talking.

"How are you feeling, Ell?" He asked, and she stared back at us with wide eyes.

"My head hurts," she answered. She sounded the same, a bit tired, but still the same.

"Ellie, do you know who this is?" Scott asked and her eyes moved to me. They looked me over, and it was just like in the ambulance yesterday: nothing.

"Is he a friend of yours?" She asked, and I felt like I'd been hit by a truck again, over and over.

"Kind of, Ell, this is Harry," Scott explained.