Dunkirk

It's funny Harry should have mentioned that song to me in his letter, because in his absence I had found myself listening to more 1D than ever (which previously was none). It's not exactly my type of music, but I found myself really liking some of their songs. Such as, 'Stockholm Syndrome', 'Fool's Gold', 'Fireproof', 'Olivia', and 'Perfect.' I casually mentioned this in a text to Harry, which he responded with a big smiley face emoji (and he never uses emojis, so this was a surprise).

Me: why are you so happy about that?*

H: I wrote or co-wrote some of those*

Me: which ones?*

He had to go back to set, and I knew he wouldn't be able to talk to me until much later, so I decided to look it up. I felt a little weird creeping on my boyfriend's wikipedia page, but I was just checking out the discography!

Okay, so then I dug a little deeper (I was curious and lonely!) and read the lyrics of some of the songs. I probably shouldn't have, but I was already headed down the rabbit's hole. The line 'if you're looking for someone to write your breakup songs about, baby I'm perfect' stood out to me.

Who was known for writing breakup songs about her ex's?

Who did Harry say he had dated?

It was a long time ago, and he probably only mentioned it to me because I'd asked, but I had not forgotten he had dated Taylor Swift. I hadn't listened to her music in a while, but I had been a fan of hers when I was in high school. I dumbly decided to look up 'taylor swift songs about harry styles'.

Yikes.

The fan theories are what got me the most. I was just looking for the songs....

'Style' was clearly about him, right? It had to be. So I listened to it, and tried not to picture her, tall, blonde, and beautiful, with my boyfriend. They dated years ago, but I could still see them in my mind doing everything she mentioned in the song. Some of it was probably made up or exaggerated for the song, right? But I moved onto 'Out of the Woods' and again, couldn't stop my mind from getting lost.

I closed my laptop and promised myself I would not get drunk and call Harry demanding he explain this. Because it's not his fault Taylor Swift wrote a couple (really good) songs about him. But I couldn't stop myself from from feeling jealous.

Crazy jealous. It was eating me up and I couldn't get the thought of her with my boyfriend out of my head. I changed my clothes and headed down to the gym to work these thoughts out, hoping to distract myself on the punching bag.

But of course, what should come on the radio at the gym other than a One Direction song? At least it wasn't 'Perfect' or anything else I could associate to Taylor, but it made me realize maybe Harry had written, or was going to write, a 'Taylor Swift' song on his new album.

A whole new kind of jealousy tour through me and I hit that punching bag like never before.

***

I felt so out of place on that beach with my sandals and sunglasses, surrounded by hundreds of extras in WWII military uniforms. Even the film crew looked like they belonged there more than I did. When Harry said in his letter that he had 'so many people to introduce me to', he wasn't lying. I felt like I had met the entire cast and crew by the time we finished, when we sat down for lunch with a few more of his castmates.

"This is Fionn, you met him this morning," Harry introduce Fionn again, as if he knew I wouldn't remember half the names of all the people I'd met today.

"Hi," I smiled and waved, and he nodded.

"Harry says you play hockey?" Fionn asked and took a bite of his lunch.