f o u r

_______________________ f o u r _______________________

f o u r
_______________________

Cheerleading tryouts were today. I smoothed out the old River Vixens uniform that lied on my bed. Cheerleading used to be my favourite sport because I could support Jason and co captain with Cheryl.

Hey, Big A. You coming to cheerleading tryouts?

I looked at my phone and saw that Veronica had messaged me. I sighed before picking my phone up and texting a reply.

Sorry, I don't think I will, Ronnie.

Ever since Jason died, I just have had this hole in my chest that can't be filled. So I don't think I'll do cheerleading this year. It just brings back too many memories.

•-•-•-•-•

As I was walking to my second period, when suddenly I was knocked over. I groaned, looking up to see bean bag boy.

"I'm so sorry, Amara." He panicked as he picked up my books. I smiled at him, trying to be friendly.

"It's okay. Don't worry about it." I shuffled my feet before walking away from him, smiling to myself.

Suddenly, I was pulled into the gymnasium. "Hey, what the hell?" I yelled, pulling myself away from the person. I sighed, realising who the person was. "Cheryl, what do you want?"

She looked at me before pulling me further into the gymnasium. "I want you to be at cheerleading tryouts," I looked at her confused.

"Why would I be at cheerleading tryouts?" I asked, rubbing my arm nervously.

"Because you're going to help me with who's being on the team, co captain." There was something in her voice that just made me want to be apart of a team again. So with open arms, I hugged Cheryl, agreeing to help her with the auditions.

•-•-•-•-•

"We're blue! And gold! We're dynamite! We'll take you down, and fight the fight! Whoo! Go, Bulldogs!" Veronica and Betty were auditioning. So far, there wasn't really any good tryouts.

"Hmm. Ladies, where's the heat? Where's the sizzle?" I heard Cheryl say, her voice full of criticism.

"Well, you haven't seen our big finish yet." Veronica sassed back, before whispering something to Betty. They then both leaned in, kissing in front of us.

"Check your sell-by date, ladies, faux lesbian kissing hasn't been taboo since 1994." I spoke up, letting them know that Cheryl won't mark them up for their kiss.

"So let's see if you do better with the interview portion of our audition. Betty, how's your sister doing?" Cheryl's voice was snarky.

"Um, Polly's fine, thanks for asking."

"Veronica, has Betty told you about her sister yet?" I rubbed my neck, feeling nervous that Polly was being mentioned.

"Uh, no." Veronica spoke up, confused.
"Go ahead, Betty," Cheryl leaned forward to emphasis that she wanted Betty to speak up. "tell Veronica about your sister and my dear brother."

"Polly and Jason dated." Betty replied.
"I wouldn't say "dated"." I looked around the room, starting to feel light headed. I was the only one who knew about Jason and Polly's baby. If anyone else knew, they would flip out.

"It didn't end well. In fact, Jason's probably why your sister had a nervous breakdown and now lives in a group home, isn't it?" And with that, I ran out of the gymnasium and into the hallway.

I started having trouble breathing, my eyes began to tear up. I was leaning down against a locker when I felt arms around me. I looked up and saw it was Jug, he was holding me.

"Jason's gone," I cried out, realisation hitting me hard. "He's gone and I miss him so much. I wish I could see him again." I was shaking and trembling, while he was rubbing my back in a soothing way.

For the first time in a long time, I was glad I finally had someone to be there for me. Even though I barely knew Jug, I clutched onto him for dear life. My cries eventually getting quieter until I had no energy left to cry anymore. So I closed my eyes, letting the darkness consume me.

•-•-•-•-•

Hope you enjoyed this chapter! Don't forget to vote and comment. Much love x