Chapter Four

Unedited.

Three weeks. That's how long Sophie stayed in Alaska. Enjoying every sight she could see. Skiing, snowboarding and even camping, which happened in Rose's back yard, and once it got to cold, both she and Kyle rushed back in, where Rose sat waiting with cups of coffee and a 'I told you so' smirk.

Now as Myth slept soundly in the back of the Firewave, Sophie watched every move Kyle made over the control panel, as he explained to her what the controls did and how to run them, through the fuzzy head set. After watching the dark blue ocean pass under the plane Sophie finally spoke through the head set. "Kyle?"

"Yeah kiddo?" He asked as he glanced back at his wing, for a quick moment before looking forward. "Will you come visit me?" Sophie asked, playing with the sleeves of the leather jacket she never gave back to him. "Listen kid, I'm not going to get all sappy, but if you ever want to come back to Alaska call me up, it doesn't matter where you are in the world, if you want to come back, I'll fly out there. Anytime." He promised. Sophie stared at him for a moment, "What was that about sappy?" She teased making him laugh. "Be quiet." He said. "Thanks Kyle." Sophie smiled as she stared out of the window. Sun shone down onto the dark blue ocean...like those teal blue eyes that haunted every dream, and every memory.

"You wrote down my number right?" Kyle asked. Sophie had told him about keeping a journal, and he thought it was a great idea. "And Rose's." Sophie answered. "Good." Kyle nodded, though Sophie had memorized them, she wasn't to sure at how good her memory was anymore. "I wrote your names down too...with Nick's too." Sophie said. "That'll be helpful." Kyle smiled. "Yeah." Sophie glanced back at Myth who had completely shed his brown coat, now looking pure snowy white, as he slept peacefully.

Sophie had kept a day to day journal, explaining how she remembered small details, the teal eyes that made her heart flip, the muffled sound of someone talking, in her mind, which scared her...scared her beyond reasoning, and made her pull away. But the tone had been irresistible, and the second Sophie tried reaching out, her head started pounding so much it made her feel like her brain was trying to explode. She wanted to reach for that calming tone, the soft welcoming and kindness, she trusted that voice, her mind, her body and her soul trusted that voice...every fiber of her being trusted that voice. Yet every time she tried to talk back, to really hear what the voice was saying it felt as if her brain was swelling, pounding and stretching, causing her nothing but pure agony.

Sophie had written how she was going to live with Nick, how a black swan gliding across the calm lake giving it's mournful swan song, entered her dreams with those haunting teal bejewelled eyes. Sophie had written about her adventures with Kyle, Rose and Myth, about her long talks with both of them, she explained how they both made her feel safe, welcome and it felt as if she were home with them.
Sophie hadn't left a detail out. "You might want to write down my promise before you forget it." Kyle teased. Sophie laughed. "You're right." She pulled out her journal, from the inside of her claimed jacket's inner pocket, making Kyle laugh.

"So I've been thinking." Kyle said after she out her journal and pen away. "You'll be going to school, when you're up there in the big city." Memories of high school blazed past Sophie memories and she shuddered. "I already graduated." She said. Kyle scoffed. "Please. Now anyways I wanted to give you something, that you can remember Alaska by             -although my leather jacket will help with that- but me and Rose wanted something you'd remember us by." Sophie listened through the thick head set that buzzed slightly. "So..well go ahead and open the glove compartment." Kyle said, never taking his eyes off the sky.

Sophie opened the glove compartments that was intact in the floor. She found a box wrapped in teal wrapping paper and a red bow. Sophie couldn't help but grin as she lifted the box in her lap. Slipping the bow off the box she tore the paper away, and opened the box. At the top, was a key chain, with a small frame at the end of it, showing a mini picture of Sophie, Kyle, Rose and Myth at the bottom of the mountain they had just skied down. Rose's red hair was covered in snow, Kyle had accident run into her, and they had both fallen down. Sophie had been wearing a blue beanie, Kyle had worn green and Rose had worn black. They had crowded around Myth who had lifted his lips into one of his quirky smiles.