Chapter Twenty-Seven

Unedited.

"Sophie! Whoa whoa whoa! Hold it kid! What are you doing?!" Kyle asked snatching the letter back from the announcers he raced after her.

Sophie passed by a slack jawed Fitz and Tam, Cassie's eyes were wide. Sophie hurried inside the lodge where Keefe and Linh jumped apart faster then lightning. She picked up the phone at the desk. Dialling the only number she could think of she slid to the floor, pressing the phone to her ear, she curled up in a tight ball.

"Hello?" Kyle asked as he walked into the lodge, his cell phone pressed to his ear, looking confused. Sophie stared at him. "I need some help." She whispered. Kyle shoved his phone in his pocket, as Sophie stretched her arms out, like a lost child. Kyle scooped her up, and lifted her in his arms. Sophie wrapped her arms around his neck and buried her head in the crook of his neck.

Kyle didn't ask questions, he carried her to the nearest room and he sat beside her. "Talk." He said, Sophie found the story pouring out. Not just about Alvar but everything. The elves, her homesickness, the Black Swan, her being poisoned and nearly dying. About Silveny, about abilities, about every last detail of her life, project Moonlark, the Lodestar Initiative, the dark elves, the council, Iver and his brother, forgetting everything, being a telepath, and inflictor, a polyglot, she sobbed and cried in his arms. Wheeping. She heard her family rush in. "I can't do it a-a-anymore." She cried. "I don't care what's happening...I want to s-s-see my real f-f-family.... I need help."

Sophie's whole body shook as Kyle wrapped his arms around her. "I can't do th-this. I don't w-w-want to do this, I hate all th-this pressure, this pain and regret. Kyle I'm ex-exhausted of life as it is."
Sophie's grief poured out with every tear that came. She knew her family was watching helplessly. "I miss Josh, Amy, my Dad and Mom. I miss everything about my once normal life. I can't fight this war. I can't go on, I can't br-breath under all this....I feel like I'm smothering, I have responsibilities I was born with, no matter what I do...I. Can't. Break. Free. I want to be free! I hate feeling trapped, I hate this feeling of constant pain. Kyle I'm stuck in this stupid...stupid storm no one even feels, or sees. Help me please." She begged.

A warm hand took hers, Sophie only cried at the touch, it burned her cold skin. "Sophie." Sophie stilled at the soothing voice, though her tears didn't stop. "Sophie..." Fitz repeated softly, it echoed through the silent room. Sophie could feel every bit of her shattered pieces that snapped, press back together, forming something new. Something good, something strong. Something that was her, every bit of her, good and bad knit together, the reckless, the bad, the good, the strange, the different, the pain, the burden, and everything else it finally fell into place. The puzzle was together, the war inside of her had stopped.

She had found herself.

The tears stopped, the pain didn't but Sophie knew she could fight it. She scrubbed her eyes as she sat up straight. She probably looked a mess, but she knew something inside of her had changed. For the better. She was a different, she was a failed experiment, she was an elf, she was.

She was Sophie Elizabeth Foster.

She was strong, she was beautiful, she was perfect in her own way, she was clumsy, she was maybe a bit disastrous, but the storm around her had become the perfect storm to rock the Neverseen off their feet. Sophie knew just what her flaws were, she knew what her differences were, and she embraced them. She loved them, in that moment

Sophie felt herself start loving her. Sophie had been lost, but she found herself she was weak but she made herself strong, she was brave and she made herself courageous, she was in pain, but that second Sophie learned something she never knew.

With pain comes power.

She wouldn't need too be okay, she was okay.

And now? Now it was time to return home.