Chapter Fourteen

Unedited.

Chaos, hell, and pain. That's what the war was like. Brant was nearly engulfed in his own flames as he fought Linh, who drenched him and Fintan, with water she drew from the air.

Sophie knew she used her knife...she wasn't sure if any of the Neverseen would die, she knew it was kill or be killed. Fight or be conquered, win or lose. She wasn't about to lose. She didn't think she stabbed any vital organs, she mostly aimed for the legs, shoulders, hands and arms.

She had knocked out three Neverseen. Tamn was fighting Ruy, darkness covered the room, only leaving Brant and Fintan the only cause of light. Due to Tam's help, Sophie, Biana, Keefe, Linh and Fitz could see. The Neverseen were blinded, Biana was swinging the long blade like a trained samurai. She vanished and popped up behind her opponent who looked to be a froster. Fitz and Keefe we're fighting two Neverseen who must have been talentless, but were fighting fist to fist with trained accuracy.

Sophie was fighting the last Neverseen, who had lightning at his fingertips. Just as Sophie kicked the Neverseen to unconsciousness, the building shook. Causing everyone to stumble and wonder what it was, but Sophie knew. Dex was bringing down the roof. Then everything stopped, as the loud echoing building stilled, the afflicting battle stopped. Brant's and Fintan's fire stopped, Linh stopped, Tam stopped, Ruy stopped, everything became silent, as they stared around the room. Sophie counted in her head. One, two, three, four, five. She grabbed onto Biana's arm and yanked her back as the middle of the floor sank. Keefe and Tam jumped, managing to stand beside Sophie, Linh and Fitz. The hole opened wider and wider, cracking up the walls it stropped the battle.

Out of the hole, a rumblings sounded, and an inky haired Dex shot up out of the hole, Sophie snatched his arm and Biana and she dragged him up on their side. Brant's jaw was locked, his eyes hard. "Run." Dex told Sophie as he grabbed Biana and Keefe's arm. Sophie grabbed the closest person next to her which was Linh. She turned and did the very thing. She ran. Dragging Linh after her, she followed, Dex, Keefe and Biana. Dex had his head ducked as he ran head long. Sophie quickly heard Tam and Fitz following them. The building shook harder this time, Biana screamed as a window above her head shattered. Dex pulled her close and shielded her as they ran. Sophie stumbled and tripped, "Go go go!" She told Linh as she picked herself back up.

Dex shoved Biana out the nearest door and dived after her with Keefe next. The floor beneath Sophie cracked and crumbled, Tam shot ahead after his sister. Sophie reached the door and looked back for Fitz. Who was leaping, so not to fall in the holes being made. Sophie could see the other Neverseen trying to reach the next door. Some falling into the ground, being crushed by the floor. Fitz shot through the door, but Sophie saw him, on the other side of the room. Being held by Ruy's blinking shield. Wylie. Sophie glanced at her friends, the loud sound of some place underground exploding sounded and Sophie knew what she had to do. Sophie slammed the door closed and ran. Wylie was wide eyed and slamming his fist against the shield.

The ground under Sophie's feet sank, as she felt the roof over her start to crumble, she ran with everything she had, a chunk of roof slammed into the ground in front of her, she didn't stop, she jumped onto the boulder and jumped across the abyss that had started in the middle of the room, she raised her fist as she fell straight toward the shield. Wylie ducked and covered his head, Sophie let out a shout as her fist slammed through the shield, making it shatter into sharp pieces. For a moment everything seemed to slow, she watched as the shield cracked before breaking, the sharp pieces pointing every which way as it shattered. Then just like that, time went back to normal, the Sophie fell on top of Wylie, tumbling and rolling over. They jumped up ignoring their cuts.

Sophie grabbed his hand and they ran through the nearest door. They fell slid and stumbled down the shaky halls, that crumbled before their very eyes, they ran faster then either of them had ran before. They ran up stairs that fell from beneath their feet. They were racing against gravity itself, trying to escape the building that had never stopped shaky. Wylie shoved her aside, saving her from being hit by falling debris. Sophie tackled Wylie, she had see the opening. She used her back to break the stained glass window they fell, in painful glory. Glass shard sparkling in the moonlight, covered in battle wounds they fell, as the building collapsed behind them, dust and debris following them out the window.