Chapter Nineteen

Unedited.

Alvar closed his eyes, in a wince, as if he had gotten a sudden head ache. "What?" Keefe asked again.

Sophie looked down at her shoes. Maybe she should of called Nick. Alvar shook his head, shooting Fitz a look. "What?" Alvar asked looking at the other elves. "Wait that's why you were at the masquerade?" Fitz asked. "How did you even know about that Fitz?" Sophie asked. "I told him." Keefe said. "Why?" Sophie asked. "Because he's my best friend and he deserves to know." Keefe said.

"How did you even know he was there?" Sophie asked. "I've been around Alvar for a couple of months I learned to spot him out, in a crowd." Keefe said. "So you confessed to her?" Fitz asked as he stepped up to Alvar who didn't move. "Yes I did." Alvar said, as he stared at his brother directly in the eyes. "Well that poses a problem." Fitz said. Sophie's heart beat was racing, she could feel herself turning red, as blood rushed to her head, as her brain tried to keep pace with the conversation. What was she going to do if they started fighting? And Keefe? What if he got in the middle of it?

"Why?" Alvar asked though he looked like he already knew the answer. "Because I like her too." Fitz said glancing at Sophie. Alvar glanced at Sophie. It was a silent question, but as loud as an air horn blowing in her ear. Who was she going to choose?

Sophie did the only thing she could do it that moment. She turned on her heel and kept walking. Geez guys were such a hassle...didn't she just admit that she had insecurities? Did they honestly expect her to choose? Between two brothers? Best friends? Did they expect her to choose now?! What was their deal? Couldn't they at least give her a break?

Sophie shoved her hands deeper in her pockets, and found something she hadn't know was there. Pulling out a paracord bracelet she grinned, as Kyle popped into mind, asking her why she hadn't told him, she had a knife. 'Sef I'm not going to tell you what to do or how to live your life. Just know if you're in trouble and you want my help, I'll be there.'

Sophie turned to the three elves behind her, they looked confused, rejected and angry. "Guys, I know the perfect place to go and get what we need." Sophie said snapping the bracelet on around her wrist. "Let's go, hopefully it'll be somewhere close." Sophie said turning around she hurried onward. Keefe and them, hurried to catch up with her. Kyle would be proud of her...maybe she should give him a call...now she was just thinking irrational thoughts. She couldn't contact him. Sophie rode the subway to time square where she found herself staring wide eyed at the massive buildings.

Hundreds of thousands of people rushed about, talking on phones, listening to music, rushing about with friends. The streets was lit up, with cars hurrying around. Sophie felt breathless at the sight of it, it made her realize just how small she was. "Whoa." Keefe said. Sophie had been in L.A. before and it had been massive, but New York was on a whole new scale of massive. Skyscrapers looked like they touched the skies, the city lights drowned out the stars, and the sound of the night coming to life was starting with a buzzing in the air. Sophie glanced around, whistling loudly she raised her hand for a cab, the brightly painted yellow van pulled up beside them, and Sophie opened the door glancing at the driver.

"Where is the nearest outdoor store?" She asked.
"Twenty minutes away sweetheart." The lady said. "Perfect. Guys let's go." Sophie said as she climbed in the vehicle that smelled of air freshener. The boys hurried and climbed in, though they looked nervous about the car. Alvar shut the door, he seemed more comfortable around cars then his brother and Keefe. Sophie stared out the window as the lady started driving she leaned forward. "Is Time square always this...alive?" Sophie asked. The lady laughed. "Tourists are you? Usually more so. It's a quiet night tonight." She said. "I'm originally from California, but New York...it's a whole new scale of city." Sophie said. "Sure is ain't it? I was from a small city out in North Dakota, just a country girl with big dreams, y'know?"

"Really?" Sophie asked. The lady nodded as she turned. "Wanted to be a singer... I had my gigs now and again, but then my dreams changed." She said. "Have you seen the statue of liberty?" Sophie asked. "Nearly every day." She said. "Tourist and others always wantin' to go there."

"Is she as beautiful as the pictures?" Sophie asked. "Sure is. She stands for out freedom, for our rights an she represent the strength of our country. That'd what makes her beautiful, it's for what she stands for, not her face." The lady said. What she stands for...she stood for freedom and justice, peace and strength, "Nothin' more beautiful then a person who stands strong for what they believe in, when in war, an under pressure. They say with pain comes power, y'know... With confusion comes wisdom, with hurt comes happiness. Diamonds are made from pressure y'know." The lady said. Somehow it spoke to Sophie and she couldn't stop the smile on her face. "With fear comes bravery." She added. They lady grinned, showing more then a few missing teeth.

"So you've heard it then?"

"I have." Sophie nodded. "I guess I forgot to remember it. With loss comes love." Nick had told her that at Josh's funeral. With pain come strength, with fear comes bravery, with confusion comes wisdom, with pain comes happiness, with sorrow comes love, and so much more. "Sound like you're speaking from experience." The lady said. Sophie cleared her throat. "I've got my share of experiences...more then I want really." Sophie said. The lady laughed, "You've got a whole life of experiences ahead of you. Wait till you reach highschool." The lady blew out a breath. "Now those are some experiences I wish never happened."

"Agreed." Sophie said. "My senior year was a disaster." Sophie said. "How old are you?" The lady asked. "Fourteen. I was moved up some grades, and finished early. I'm touring colleges now." Sophie figured it wouldn't hurt to twist some truth in the lie. "Huh, what do you want to major in?" The lady asked. "Fashion." Sophie blurted. "My mom ran a small fashion shop back home, it didn't work out for Herz but it gave me a passion." Sophie lied. Amy had always been one for fashion. "Fashion or photography."

"Oh? Photography, that seems fun."

"Yeah, open a small business and what not." Sophie felt horrible for lying but what was she supposed to say? "I thought about going into government too." Sophie said. The lady smiled as she pulled to the side of the road. "You've got a lot of options, leave them open." She said. "That'd be fourth five dollars." She said. Sophie paid, and said goodbye. Before hopping out looking up at the store. She glanced around before marching in.

Sophie stared around, before grinning. The store reminded her to much of Kyle, when they had gone to buy Sophie a flare gun, cause she had accidentally shot hers. Kyle had been goofy, and had climbed in a neon green kayak and paddled around the store, as Sophie and him raced down the cold aisles. Sophie had just stepped in the store but she already knew it like the back of her hand. Sophie was smiling from ear to ear as she stopped an employee. "Where are the camping cots?" Sophie already knew, aisle ten, but she had to make sure. "Aisle ten." The lady said. Sophie nodded. "Thanks." She trotted towards it.

Grabbing eight paracord bracelets she found the cots. As the boys waited with their arms out, Sophie stacked up some cots, for everyone into their arms. Picking up the last one, she heard a voice. A voice she did not want to hear.

"Sophie Elizabeth where the hell have you been?!"

(•_-)