Chapter Twenty-Six

Unedited.

"Mr. Forks?" Keefe asked, shortening Mr. Forkle's name.

Sophie nodded. "He said we should stay low, but we shouldn't stay in one place for to long." She said to her fellow elves.

"What do you think we should do?" Elwin asked. Sophie tugged at the edge of her jacket. This was normal...what normal people did. They needed normal right now. "Let's finish the competition, we'll do as he says. When we leave we could probably to to Hawaii."

"No." Linh blurted before covering her mouth her cheeks turning pink as everyone looked at her. "Right. Sorry, I'm not thinking straight." Sophie said. "Just give me a minute to figure some things out. I promise we'll get back." she said. The others nodded. "Sophie!" A human called, Sophie looked over to see a kid who looked to be thirteen or fourteen, with dusty brown hair and dark eyes. "Come on their about to call your name." Seth said. Sophie waved. "Okay!" She called cheerfully, before looking back at the group.

"Let me just think." She said. They nodded, Sophie turned her board and raced after Seth. Sophie had talked to Seth at the sidelines. His sister was competing, she was just a beginner, but he had cheered her on. Seth was the sweet kind of people that just feel like warmth radiates from their souls, he was like Josh Loskie. He drew people in like gravity circled him, he was open, friendly and generally a happy person. Alvar hard given his place up to Fitz, and Tam had destroyed Fitz after. Tam had somehow managed to beat Fitz's graceful tricks.

Sophie stood at the top of the ramp. "You got this!" Seth cheered patting her back, as the announcer called her name. Sophie spotted the green eyed girl glaring at her in the crowd. Sophie placed her goggles over her eyes and slid down the ramp, gliding down the slick ice. Everything went well until she landed in front of the green eyed girl. It felt as if oil had been placed on the ice. Her feet flew out from under her and the crowd all winced with her. The green eyed girl smirked, Sophie stood up and hurried on. Grinding across a railing, she found herself facing the 'U' shaped ramp. Skidding up one end, her board hit a nick pitching her forward, her hand went out to catch herself as her feet flew up.

Her other hand touched the nose of her board. Sophie was doing a one handed hand stand! Sophie brought her weight back down, as the crowd cheered, Sophie zoomed up on the other side of the ramp, she jumped off the edge, grabbing the edges of the board like she had seen Tam do, she turned in circles before landing, whooshing up the other side, she skidded off the top, dropping down to the ground she slid down the finishing hill with a jump she stopped.

Sophie was breathless, as adrenaline made her heart pump faster. The crowd was cheering loudly, Sophie grinned up to Kyle and raised her fists. He clapped, a smile on his face. Sophie unclipped her board and hurried up to her family, as the announcer called another name. "Way to pull out the moves Foster." Keefe said holding up a fist. Sophie pounded it with her own. "Wasn't planned but that was fun." Sophie could practically feel her eyes shining. As she swung had arm around Biana. "You should totally try that. There was this bump in the ice, it pushed me forward and wow.." Sophie breathed.

"You fell." Grady said. "Yeah, it's patch of ice over there." Sophie said as she patted Myth's head. Sophie looked over to see the girl who was strapping on an orange board to her feet. Her breath filled the air in front of her. "Next up Cassie Knight!" Said the over cheerful announcer. "She's going too have to bring everything she's got to even come close to Whitaker's score." Said the second commentator. Sophie looked at Kyle wondering when he had boarding before remembering she was Whitaker. Cassie's face grew stormy as she stood up. She glared at Sophie, as the bell rang she slid down the ramp.

Sophie turned to Keefe, he was watching Cassie through narrowed eyes. "What's up with her?" She whispered. "Don't know, but she really does seem to hate you." He said. "Why?" Sophie asked. Keefe looked at her, "Am I the mind reader?"