10: Change is good

Time skip~~
*Jamie's P.o.V.*

It's been almost 3 years since me and Jack have been a couple. Unfortunately, not everything in those 3 years have gone well. Late last year, my mother passed away after getting severely injured in a car crash when coming home from work. Sophie was hurt the most from our mother's passing. Since I moved out of the house to attend school outside of Burgess, she ended up moving in with the Guardians since we have no other family close to us. It works out because whenever I have a break from school, I get to see Jack and all the others too. North always gives me a snow globe to go back and forth between the Pole and school. Sophie is still trying to recover, and I try my best to comfort her, but being isolated from the rest of the world doesn't help much either. All I want for her now is a normal life, but that vision seems only to get more and more distant as the days go by. Sophie does go to school and she stays at one of her friends house during the week so she's doing fine educationally. I hope we can all just settle down soon and get on with life. Just one more year of school for me, then maybe I can rest for a while.

~~1 year later~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Finally! I can rest. Exams are over and all that's left to do is go to graduation then I can be free! The last year of college was rough but I made it through.
Since that's all done, I decide to go back to our home in Burgess. We still haven't sold the house even though no one lives in it anymore. Most of our things were moved to the Pole since that's our home now, but there are still some things we left behind. Jack said he'd meet me at the house to help me get ready for the graduation ceremony. I see him outside the house with the door open. I guess I left my window open and he came in through there.
It's good to see Jack again after the last break, which was in the spring. Since we don't get to see each other too often, he keeps making remarks at how I'm still growing and changing, even though I see no difference. When I do have a break, we sure make the most of it. One Christmas at the Pole, we indulged in a long make out session after exchanging presents with each other. I dare say I wanted him in me right there and then but we weren't prepared.
Anyways, he already has a suit picked out for me. It's a dark blue suit with powder blue stripes along the sides and sleeves with matching pants. He's even polished my black dress shoes for the occasion. To my surprise he is also wearing a suit of his own. He sports an all white costume with a black bow tie to finish off the look. He looks quite handsome and I'm so glad he's coming with me, even if I will be the only able to see him at the ceremony. I finish getting ready just in time for us to start heading out for my graduation.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We don't bother to stay for the meal afterwards and start to head home. Since my college is out of town, so we come back through the forest at the edge of Burgess (the same one from chapter 8) and come to the clearing in the middle of the forest where we came together several years ago. Since it's summer now, the trees have grown a nice green covering and the wild flowers around the clearing are blooming nicely.
Jack turn to face me and grabs hold of both my hands. His face is slightly pink and he looks so cute.
"Jamie," He starts, "I'm so proud and happy for you to have finished your studies."
"That means I can spend more time with you now." I reply with a smile.
"Yes but it's more than just pending time together that makes me smile." He gets down on one knee and holds my left hand in his.
I am stunned and speechless. All I can do is look back at Jack in his beautiful, clear blue eyes.
"Jamie Bennett, you have given me hope and love when I needed it the most, you fill the gaps in my life, you make me feel complete and I'm always happy to be with you. So Jamie, will you marry me and stay with me forever." He finishes, as he holds up a ring with a light blue crystal in his hand.
I want to reply but I don't trust my voice so I just nod my response. Jack slips the ring onto my finger and I start crying out of happiness. He gets up and we hug tightly, all the while, giving each other kisses.
"Jack, you make me so happy."
"So do you, my love."
He picks me up in his arms as we head home.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Back at the Pole, the Guardians throw a celebration for my graduation and my engagement. There is a big buffet in the main hall with cake for dessert. It's wonderful to be able to celebrate these special moments with such close friends. They've changed my life. They've helped me through all the times when I needed it, and now, I can spend my life with Jack.
"Jamie..."
"Huh?" I throught I hear my name.
"Is something wrong Jamie?" Jack asks me.
"I just thought that someone called my name," I say in reply, "Must just be the noise of the party."
"Well I hope you enjoy the party. Are you ready for the dance?"
"Do you even need to ask that question?" I say sarcastically. "Of course I'm ready."
"Then let's start dancing." Jack says, taking my hand.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dusk has fallen and we're all tired by the end of the night. I go to the room I share with Jack to get changed and get ready for bed.
"Jamie..."
I turn around to see in the doorway, visibly tired himself.
"Did you call me Jack?"
"Huh? No, not me." He replies.
"That's funny. I swear I heard someone call my name."
"We're both tired right now, how about we get some sleep." Jack suggests.
"Sounds good to me."
Jack falls asleep quickly but my mind is restless, I can't seem to find my rest. Eventually, I drift into a light sleep, where I see a beautiful meadow surrounded by trees. It looks familiar but also different in some way. It calls to me and I find myself in the center of the meadow. I hear the wind and the sounds of nature all around me. It's beautiful and I just want to settle down on the soft, green grass. As I run a hand on the ground, small flowers start to appear close to my hand.
I suddenly wake up, startled out of my dream. I didn't realize it before but I feel very hot and I'm sweating quite a bit. I look at the electronic clock beside our bed. It's still very early to be up, only 3:30. I close my eyes, trying to fall asleep again but I just can't seem to settle down.
I slide out of bed as quietly as possible, trying not to wake Jack. Just as I get up to head out of the room I hear a voice call out to me.
"Jamie..."
I know for sure now that I wasn't just hearing things earlier in the day. I follow the call outside our room, to the globe. The light of the moon is shining on the floor, beckoning me to move closer. I look up the moon and hear it's voice.
"Jamie, thank you for coming to talk with me."
"Are you the man in the moon?" I ask, not quite believing it's really him for a moment.
"Yes, I am, the one they call Manny. I have seen your faith in the Guardians ever since you were a young child, and now you have found yourself a partner with one of them," He explains, "You understand that all this will come to an end if you remain as you are right now, don't you?"
"Yes, I just didn't want to think about that right now."
"Would you be willing to spend the rest of your life with the Guardians?"
"Of course. They have always helped me throughout the hard times. I want to repay their kindness." I say to Manny.
"Plus, I have pledged my love to Jack." I lift my hand to show the ring. It shines brightly in the moonlight, revealing the snowflake patter inside the crystal. "I want nothing more than to stay with him."
"Then may I offer you the chance to be a Guardian." Manny says.
At this I'm taken by surprise. I never even dreamed of being a Guardian.
"Are you asking me if I want to be a Guardian?" I ask, still unsure.
"Yes, but as you know, being a Guardian has many responsibilities. For you, it would be to work with Jack to determine when the season change."
"What must I do, in order to become a Guardian?"
"Consider it my gift to you for your loyalty to the Guardians."
"Thank you so much. This means the world to me."
"Now come outside and be renewed as the spirit of new life."
A wind picks me up, out of the room, onto the snow of the Pole. I don't feel cold at all, rather I feel this warmth dwelling inside me. I close my eyes, and everything changes.

A/N: I'm so sorry I just really want to finish this story off. All the space filled with time skips was just to advance the story. I'm running out of ideas and I really should spend more time on more productive things. Still, a few more chapters in the making, but I just want to finish this story. Once again, sorry for the rush.