11: New life

*Jack's P.o.V.*

I stir in my sleep, feeling colder than usual. It wakes me from my sleep, and then I realize that Jamie's not in bed. I get up and check the bathroom attached to our room. Not in there, so I go into the hall, but I don't see him. I want to get some more sleep but I know I won't be able to without knowing that Jamie's okay. I get dressed, ready to start the day, even if it's just after sunrise. The other Guardians are slowly getting up themselves. We need to get up early to do our jobs.
I look around the inside of the Pole for Jamie, but don't find him anywhere. I take my search outside, doubtful that I would find him in the cold. I fly upwards to get a vantage point and immediately notice a patch of green against the harsh white of the snow. I lower myself down and find Jamie, lying peacfully on the grass. His eyes are closed and he appears to be sleeping. But what's really confusing me is why there is grass growing so far north.
I hear Jamie stir next to me. He slowly opens his eyes and blinks at the bright light of the rising sun. Something seems different about him, but I'm not sure what.
"Good morning sweetheart," I say, "Why'd you decide to sleep out here?"
"Jack? Urg..." He says, still not fully awake, "Good question, what am I doing out here?"
"I was hoping you would answer that for me."
"I...I don't remember." He says as he tries to sit up. "Uhmm." He's having trouble supporting himself so I pick him up, bridal style, and head back inside. I sit him down in a stuffed chair by the fireplace in the common room.
"Alright then, since you can't seem to remember what happened last night, how are you feeling?"
"Really tired and I feel wierd, like something's changed."
"How about you go lie down and get some rest, okay? Here," I offer him my hand, "Can you walk?"
"Ya, I think so," He replies as he takes hold of my hand.
I get a strange feeling the moment his hand touches mine. It feels as though his touch gives me more strength and energy. He also feels warmer than usual, despite sleeping outside.
"Jamie, something's not right. You just came in from the cold outside but you feel warmer than usual. Plus, I felt more energized when you took my hand. Do you know what's going on?"
"I'm sorry Jack. I-I don't remember. But you're right, something feels off right now. I'm sure my memories will return after a while."
"I'll trust on that. Let's get you to sleep for a while."
I lead him to our room by the hand, his steps light beside me. He crawls into bed and I pull the cover up to his chest.
"Sleep well sweetie. I'll check up on you. See you in a bit."
"See you love."
I close the door as I leave, wondering what happened to Jamie last night.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jamie sleeps the whole day away and wakes just in time for dinner. He's awfully quite and doesn't talk while he eats his dinner with the rest of us. I don't think he's mad at any of us, but I can't help but feel responsible for his behavior.
When I return to our room, Jamie's sitting at the desk by the window, drawing in his sketchbook. I look over his shoulder to see what he's drawing. To my surprise, it's not a winter scene like the majority of his works but rather, the opposite. Jamie's picked out the clearing where I proposed to him. It seemed fitting, but then he turns around in the chair and looks me straight in the eyes.
"I can't stop thinking about this spot," He says, pointing to the sketch, "It's like it's calling to me."
For some reason, those last words stir something in the back of my mind, but I brush it aside for now.
"Maybe the spot's just that memorable," I reply, trying to help make sense of the feeling, "It is where we pledged out love to each other."
"It's not that. It's more like I belong there, like I need to do something there, but I don't know what."
"How about we go visit the spot then? What do you say Jamie?"
"Sure, why not. I might just get some answers too."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Once we get there, Jamie slowly walks to the center of the clearing. He sits down on the grass, feet under him. He places his left hand on the grass and looks upward. I'm suddenly blinded by a flash of light that seems to come from Jamie. As he runs his hand through the grass, small flowers appear where his hand has touched. After circling himself with flowers of all colours, he turns and faces me.
I can't believe what just happened. He shouldn't be able to make flowers bloom at the touch of his fingers. What's going on? Am I dreaming? This must be why he's felt different, because he is different. But what changed him?
"Jack," He says, breaking me from my thoughts, "I remember everything now."

A/N: I hope to finish the entire story in the next few chapters. Thanks for reading this far!!!