07

It was the very end of the summer, which meant school was about to start. Kano knew that people would soon know about her femininity, and was prepared to endure harsh words and ridicule from her peers.

She had come a long way in just a few months. From what she had seen online, she was pretty much on schedule with everyone else. The physical changes (besides hair, makeup, etc.) were slight, but she could definitely tell a few psychological differences. She was more emotional than before, and her dysphoria was disappearing as time went on.

One downside to this was that Kano was now having to learn how to use a flat iron, as her hair was becoming quite wavy and frizzy as it grew. She winced as she ran the heavy object over another tangle.

"Kano, are you almost done? I look like Hermione Granger in the first Harry Potter movie," Kido groaned.

Kano turned to face her in the doorway. "Getting there, it's hard," she said.

"Wait 'til you have hair as long as mine," said the other.

The blonde quickly finished up, then handed the flat iron to Kido. She watched as she pushed a few buttons, then set it down.

"You know why it took you so long?" Kido asked.

"Why?" Kano asked.

"You didn't have the heat up enough, it was on the lowest setting," she explained.

Kano said nothing, just shrugged and went back to her room to do her makeup. She was part of the way through when she heard loud voices in the hall. She sat down the makeup brushes and went up to her door to try and decipher what they were saying.

"Yeah, what did you say his name was?" they said, and Kano recognized them as Kido.

She heard a muffled response, then the green haired girl spoke again. The conversation went back and forth a few times, until it finally finished with her telling whoever it was to have fun.

Kano, being curious, peeked her head into the hallway, only to see Seto standing in the doorway, a few feet away from Kido.

"You going somewhere?" she called, causing the boy to turn around and look at him.

"Yeah, a date," he replied.

Kano then felt a pang in her chest. "Oh, okay. Well, I hope you have fun."

"Thanks," he said, turning back to Kido.

Kano then shut the door, then slumped down against it. She and Seto had been broken up for almost two months, but for some reason, the idea of him dating again was upsetting to her. However, she knew it was bound to happen at some point and that it would be in her best interest to finish building the bridge and get over it.

Within minutes, she heard the rest of the dan crowding the hallway to wish Seto good luck. Kano scrounged around for her earbuds and put them in, hoping to drown out the noise.

She soon heard a knock on the apartment door over her music, followed by several excited screams from the group. She stood up and walked out into the hall, hoping to catch a glimpse of Seto's new Prince Charming.

Upon seeing him, Kano understood how the boy could find him attractive. Everything about him screamed "I'm a YouTuber who all the straight girls wish wasn't gay." He was a dirty blonde, had a great jawline, as well as sharp blue eyes. He was also tall, and Kano figured he had to be over six feet.

A few moments later, he and Seto had departed, with the rest of the dan still hyped. The blonde then went back into her room, followed by Kido. The two shut the door before going to sit on the bed.

"You're not upset, are you?" asked the taller girl.

"Nah, I'm long over him," lied Kano.

"Is that a lie?"

"If it was, what difference would it make? It's not like broken-up relationships work out anyways," she said.

Kido gave Kano a quick hug.

"Trust me, the universe will work itself out. And to tell you the truth, I don't think Seto'll like this guy," she assured.

Kano shrugged. "I dunno. Thanks, though," she said.

"Anytime," said Kido, before getting up and leaving the room.

The few hours following went on as normal, and it wasn't until after nine o'clock that the boy returned from his date. The dan had tons of questions for him about what they did and how they liked each other. Seto gestured everyone to sit down in the living room so he could answer them.

"Well, I can definitely tell you guys that it wasn't as good as I expected," he said, causing Kano's heart to leap.

"What happened?" asked Kido.

"I just don't really think we connected too well," he replied.

"Aww, that really sucks. So, are you guys going out again?" asked Momo.

"No, not unless he decides he wants to," he said.

"Maybe you just rushed back into dating too soon," the green-haired girl suggested.

"Maybe," he agreed, "just give me some time to think."

And with that, he stood up and went back to his room. The rest of the dan dispersed and went to theirs. Kano followed, her spirits slightly lifted. Maybe she could get back with Seto after all. How? She'd have to figure that out.
-
A/N: I'm really sorry for the short chapter and slow update, I'm very picky with my word choice so it takes me awhile >_< be sure to vote & follow if you enjoyed!