Chapter 1

Picture: Vincent Giovanni

---------------------------------------

4 months earlier

"Mr. Giovanni. You're a free man." The police officer said and unlocked the cell with caution.
Vincent had bags under his eyes and had a bit of a stub.
Luca and Charlie was waiting for him and as Vincent jumped into the car they didn't say anything about his appearance instead they greeted him with respect.
"We believe we know where she's hiding." Luca said and Vincent only answered "Good."
During the time he had been imprisoned, three months exactly, he had had the time to think his life through.
His conclusion was that love was a dangerous and overrated thing and something he would never be in again.
As they got back to the estate Vincent went straight up to his room to take a shower, shave and dress into a suit.
Vincent stared at his own reflection in the mirror before heading downstairs to the lounge where Luca and Charlie was waiting.
"Tell me what I've missed since we last saw each other." Vincent demanded as he sat down in the armchair.
Luca stood up "There's the usual rumors about Nicole being your 'kryptonite'."
Vincent didn't show any emotion but three months ago the rumors would have been true, then she was his weak spot and his 'kryptonite'.
"...And speaking of Nicole we've located her." Luca said catching the attention of Vincent again.
"Yes?" He said and Luca said "She's in New York, working at a lunch place, goes by the name Ana Frey."
Vincent raised an eyebrow but in reality he wasn't surprised because she had worked at a restaurant or cafe in the small town in Italy where she lived before they met.
"Do you want us to bring her home?"
"Home?" Vincent snorted "This will only become a prison when I decide to come get her."
He had no feelings for her anymore. He didn't care for her but he wanted to punish her.
Punish her for running from him, turning him in and especially for fooling him.
No one fooled Vincent Giovanni and got away with it but in this case death would be too nice, taking away her freedom was a much more cruel punishment. And he needed her alive.

Nicole was wearing the yellow shirt, the cap in the same color and the black pants that was her work clothes.
She worked at a place called "Sunny Honey" and it was a popular lunch place for the people of New York who liked clean eating-lunches.
Nicole had lived by herself, undisturbed in New York for almost seven months now. Still, not a night or day went by without her thinking about what Vincent would do if he found her. The bare thought made her shiver. Of course, she was protected by the police but she knew that the police wouldn't stand a chance against Vincent if he was aware of them.
"Hello Ana!" Her colleague Diana said as she entered the small restaurant.
"Hello, everything good?"
"Yes. Everything's good. Lunch starts soon though, be ready."
Most of their customers came around lunch time.
As she went downstairs to leave her bag and her jacket she felt like she was observed but there was no one inside the restaurant except for Diana and an old couple.
Nicole tried to shake off the odd feeling but didn't quite manage to but as she came upstairs the place had started to fill with customers.
For the rest of the day Nicole helped customers and then she talked the day away with Diana who was newly engaged.
"If I wasn't clear you're of course invited to my wedding!" Diana said and smiled big.
Nicole laughed "Thank you." and Diana wriggled her eyebrows "And if you have a +1 he's also invited."
Nicole smiled to the floor and walked down the to get her coat "Thank you but don't worry about that."
The door opened and Diana greeted the man as he made his way to the desk.
"Where's Ana?" The voice made Nicole freeze and without thinking about it she held her breath and Diana said "She went down to get her coat. Ana!."
Fuck Nicole thought and looked around, there was no way to escape. Nicole took a deep breath and walked upstairs and the blue familiar eyes who haunted her in her nightmares was now observing her closely.
"Hello Ana, you look lovely as always." He stretched out his arms and his voice made Nicole shiver but she did approach him and said cautiously  "Vincent, what a surprise. It's nice seeing you."
Vincent smiled but it didn't reach his eyes at all and it was a mocking one but Diana didn't seem to notice the tension at all and said "Ana, you've some explaining to do. Who's this handsome man?"
Nicole closed her eyes and thought "please shut up Diana if you don't want to get killed." Nicole wouldn't stand having caused Diana's death.
Vincent turned his attention towards Diana at the same time as he put his arm around Nicole's waist.
"How rude of me, I'm Vincent Giovanni. Pleasure meeting you." Vincent said as he shook hands with Diana. "Diana Forbes, I'm curious and have to ask, when and how did you two meet?"
All Nicole could think of was the fact that the man she ran away from six months was standing next her, holding his arm around her in a warning grip and small talking with her colleague.
"No worries, we met a year ago through family and we got engaged before I moved to Italy and now Ana is going to come live with me, finally." Vincent kissed her cheek and Nicole had to bite her tongue in order to not push him away.
"Italy? Ana! You haven't told me about this! I assume you can't come to my wedding then? Vincent, you are of course invited to the wedding as Ana's plus one." Diana smiled big and Vincent nodded "Thank you, we will be there. Don't worry but now we should leave." and added a wink.
Diana smiled and wriggled her eyebrows towards Nicole "You just go girl, you need this."
"Bye Di." Nicole said and she knew this would be the last time she saw Nicole for she didn't know how long, she doubted that Vincent was serious about they coming to Di's wedding.
Probably she wouldn't even be alive.
"Vincent." Nicole said and tried to push him away as soon as they were out of sight from the restaurant.
"Get into the car." Luca was driving the car she sat in but he didn't acknowledge her in any way.

"Sit down and stay here." Luca said and showed Nicole to her seat in first class. "What about my clothes?" was the only thing Nicole managed to get out.
"Someone'll get them." Luca shrugged and left her. This couldn't be happening, why hadn't she fought him before they boarded the plane? She knew why, he would kill her or drug her.
The plane lifted and Nicole looked at the white clouds and the blue sky trough the plane windows.
Someone cleared their throat and Nicole jerked towards the window.
"I'm sorry I didn't mean to startle you." Vincent said without meaning a word of what he just had said.
"You're a free man now?" Nicole managed to get out.
Vincent turned his head towards her and Nicole did the same "Unfortunately for you, released since four months."
"Why did it take so long for you to find me?" Nicole challenged.
"You don't think I've been keeping tabs on you?" Vincent said with a mocking tone and Nicole just stared at him.
There was something new about him, he seemed colder and harder, even colder than he had been when they met for the first time.
There was also something cruel about him and Nicole didn't like it for one bit.
After a moment of uncomfortable silence and Vincent not taking his eyes of her, she asked "What's happening now? If you're going to kill me, why couldn't you do it in New York?"
Vincent smirked but it didn't reach his eyes, it was a mocking smirk.
"I'm not going to kill you." He started, "you will come with me back to Italy."
Nicole raised an eyebrow because it didn't seem like a punishment but Vincent added "But I don't know what you'll find worse." and his gaze made Nicole shift in her seat.
They stared at each other until Nicole looked away and out through the plane window.
Vincent wanted to scare her, he had changed back into a new version of the cold hearted ruthless monster she knew he could be but Nicole would not be afraid of him.
She would not give him the satisfaction of seeing her afraid of him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First chapter out!
Keep reading and vote and comment!
XOXO Mary