Chapter 9

Vincent hadn't seen Nicole since the morning and he had asked Luca to inform her when to be ready. He was now standing outside of their common bedroom, he had already knocked one time without an answer. With a sigh he opened the door and saw Nicole standing on the balcony. Like she had felt his eyes on her she turned around and let her gaze stay at him. She was wearing a dark green ball gown that brought out the darker green in her eyes. "Are we leaving?"
"Yes." Neither of them said anything as they left the bedroom together. Vincent offered his arm to Nicole as they started walking down the stairs and she took it even tough she felt like crying. Vincent's family was standing in the hallway watching the couple walking down and Rico applauded with a wide smile "I still can't believe you're married Vince, and to this lovely woman." Nicole sent him a smile and as she kissed his cheeks in a hello she said "I am sure you'll find a woman even more lovely."
Vincent let out a chuckle, Nicole could tell it was a fake one and then he said "I wouldn't be so sure of that, you see I don't believe that it's possible." He sent Nicole a heart-warming smile and she could tell that the family was sold but she knew better. She saw the look in his eyes and he wasn't smiling at all. Rico interrupted them "Well thank you Nicole, you're kind. And Vince, if Nicole hadn't been present I'd beat your ass."
Michel cleared his throat "Enough Rico. We should leave."

They had been riding for five minutes when Vincent said "I don't want to fight." and when Nicole looked at him she saw the gun and the microphone. "You don't want to fight huh?"
"It's non-negotiable." Vincent's voice was still calm but there was something in his tone that made Nicole nod. Vincent helped her with the microphone and said "If you are in danger then all you have to say is "Have you seen Charlie?", is that understood?"
"Yes." Vincent then lifted her dress and instinctively she pulled it down but he just shook his head and lifted it again. He strapped the gun against her legs and then pulled down the dress covering it. "You can easy reach it from the slit."
Nicole didn't answer instead she looked out of the window the whole ride until the car stopped outside what looked like a very exquisite hotel. Vincent walked around and opened the door for her and as soon as she stepped out he wrapped an arm around her waist. It felt unfamiliar and she wanted to remove it instantly but her attention shifted as people started to shouting their names. Nicole had not been prepared for papparazzis but here they were and Vincent leaned in "Relax and smile. The dress suits you." The comment surprised Nicole but she gave the photographers a few smiles and she had to bite the inside her lip to keep smiling as Vincent kissed her cheek. The room where the ball was held in was decorated with taste and as far as Nicole could see there were important-looking men in suits and some were accompanied by beautiful women in expensive jewellery and dresses. It was like stepping inside a new world and Nicole felt a bit nauseous as they made their way through the crowd. Every now and then Vincent stopped to greet someone and they always greeted him and her in a respectful manner.
"What would you like to drink?" Nicole felt like she needed a drink made of really strong liquor but settled for a glass of red wine. Vincent ordered a whisky and after they had received their drinks he brought them to a small stage and the room almost instantly became quiet. "Don't worry, I'll keep it short. Me and my beautiful wife Nicole would like to welcome you to our ball, we are honoured to see so many of you here to celebrate with us since the wedding didn't turn out in our favour. Or maybe it did, we made it out stronger, married and well I got a vacation." The people chuckled and Vincent smiled as he waited for the guest to quiet down again. "Enough of the jokes, I am so very thankful to have the love of my life, the one and only Nicole Vintali Giovanni next to me. Vincent turned to Nicole who was smiling and then he brought her closer and tried to give her a kiss on the mouth but she took his head in her hands and kissed his forehead instead. "Beautiful said, darling. Now let's get this party started!" Nicole said loudly and held her glass up in a toast before taking Vincent's hand and walking down from the stage. As soon as they was away from the stage with no one seeing them Vincent put his hands on Nicole's waist and pulled her back towards him so that her back was pressed against his chest. He whispered "What the fuck was that about? If I try to kiss you, you let me. Is that understood?"
"No Vincent." She pushed herself away from him "No Vincent, that's not how it works. What's next? If you try to have sex with me, I'll let you? That's rape you know." she said looking at him with emotionless eyes. "Nicole. We're not doing this here, not now." Vincent's tone was warning her to say something else as he walked closer but when she took a step back he stopped. Then Charlie showed up from out of nowhere "Vincent, I need...Oh sorry. I'll leave."
"It's fine Charlie, what do you want?" Vincent asked without taking his eyes of Nicole "The Captain want's to talk with you."
"I'll be right with him." With a final glance at Nicole he left her standing in the hallway and she felt like dying right there on the spot.