Chapter 10

The car ride back to the Giovanni mansion was silent and the Vincent was texting the entire way with a clenched jaw. Nicole had questions but she figured this was not the time to ask them. When the car stopped Nicole opened the door for herself but Vincent was quick to put an arm around her waist in case any of his family members were watching them. They had barely been seen together during the ball but right now he couldn't even care. He was irritated and he would never admit the real reason why he was irritated instead he kept telling himself it was due to Edwin Colchester's behaviour. The second they entered their common bedroom Nicole went inside the bathroom to get changed from her dress and to wash off the light makeup she was wearing. Vincent remained sitting on the bed, loosened his tie and closed his eyes trying to organise his thoughts. He could hear Nicole coming out from the bathroom, lay down under the blanket to read her book for a while. "What's your relation to the Captain?" Nicole suddenly asked Vincent and she saw how he tensed at her question. "Why do you ask?"
She contemplated whether she should lie or whether to tell Vincent the truth and then decided to tell him the truth. "He seemed very nice and may I say different." and he seemed important to you was what she wanted to add but didn't. Vincent slowly raised to his feet and turned around to look at her "Different." he then repeated and they both knew she meant that he was different from Vincent in a positive way. "He seemed to respect his wife." Nicole said now looking straight at him with a cold eyes, she knew she was pouring gasoline on a fire but she simply didn't care. Vincent clenched his jaw and didn't look away as he said "He did." and then he spoke again "But then again, it was mutual." With a final stare at the woman in bed he left the room and slammed the door shut behind him. How could she even expect him to respect her like he had done before their wedding after she disrespected him like she had done? Nicole put her pillow to her face and screamed right into it, she knew that their fake marriage was hopeless. Even if Vincent never would confirm it, she knew she had hurt his pride and she also knew she was never going to be able to heal his pride since he would never ever let her. She turned off the lights and laid down on the pillow in an attempt to get some sleep, she was tired and angry and sad. 

Vincent hadn't slept at all instead he had been working in an attempt to avoid his thoughts. Now he was standing in their common bedroom watching the woman he had once loved sleeping. Every now and then he'd wish that they would just be able to start over again but he knew that was nothing but a fool's unrealistic dream. Nicole stirred in her sleep and just as Vincent was about to leave the room she opened her eyes and immediately pulled the blanket closer. 
It only took a second for Nicole's face to change from newly awake and confused to stern and cold as she said "I am going to be in town the whole day."
Vincent just nodded "Good. Buy whatever you want." and then there was a pause where none of them said anything. Nicole waited for an apology but it never came but all Vincent said was "We're having a final diner with my family tonight."
"And then?" Nicole asked with a stern voice and Vincent said "Then we can drop the act." They were both quiet again until Vincent opened the door, said goodbye and then left Nicole to do whatever she wanted with her day. She wasn't even angry anymore, she was just empty. 

When it was time for lunch Nicole let the chauffeur drive her and Luca into town. She was really looking forward to see something else than the mansion. Luca was working during the car ride and Nicole was listening to music on her phone. Vincent had left one on her bed last week because they needed to be able to communicate but he had made sure that he could see if she received texts from someone else than him. Nicole and Luca and the ridiculous amount of security guards walked towards the restaurant called MisshuMasshu. They served a great ramen and the place reminded Nicole of New York that's why she kept going there. Luca and one of the security guards walked inside with her and the rest stayed outside of the restaurant. Luca took a call as Nicole ordered and when she looked around to find an empty seat she saw a man wave towards her. She looked at him and saw that it was the man from the ball, she glanced at Luca who was busy talking on the phone and walked up to Edwin Colchester. As she reached his table he stood up and greeted her with a kiss on her hand "Mrs. Vintali Giovanni, I am honoured to see you here. Are you here by yourself?"
"Well hello Mr.Colchester, I am. How about you?" 
"Sadly, yes. I'm working nearby, this is what you can call my "to-go spot". They have a great ramen." He smiled showing his white teeth and Nicole also smiled. "Great minds think alike."
Nicole couldn't explain it but she felt happy for the first time in a while and she almost blushed due to Edwin's intense stare on her. "Where's Vincent?"
"He's working." The waiter arrived with Nicole's ramen and before Edwin could say anything Nicole took a seat and as she saw his look she asked with a small smile "I can leave if you want."
"No! I very much enjoy looking at you." 
"Great line." Nicole said a bit mocking but with a smile present on her lips and Edwin let out a chuckle. "Mr.Colchester, what a surprise." Luca was standing next to the table with a displeased look on his face. Edwin gave him a small smile "Luca. How are you?" but Luca just said a short "fine" and Edwin stood up and put his hands together. "My lunch is unfortunately over but it was a honour seeing you again Mrs.Vintali Giovanni. Enjoy your lunch." Edwin flashed her a smile and gave Luca a light tap on the shoulder as he said "And Luca, say hi to Vince from me. Bye." Luca still didn't say anything and when Edwin had left the place he sat down and stared at Nicole. "You're playing with fire."
Nicole looked at him with a faked surprised look on her face "What do you mean?"
"You're married to Vincent. You have no right to flirt with other men."
"I did not flirt with him Luca." Nicole said calmly and kept eating her ramen while Luca continued to watch her. "Nicole, I am warning you. You have no idea what Vincent is capable of doing."
"Unfortunately, I do."
Luca just shook his head before taking another call leaving Nicole by herself to finish her lunch. Nicole saw Vincent's name on the phone and she wondered if Luca was going to tell him about her meeting with Edwin, most likely. Deep in her thoughts she didn't notice the lady standing next to her until she waved her hand in front of her face. "I am sorry m'aam but the man who sat with you earlier left you this." Nicole saw the tiny paper piece in the lady's hand, took it and thanked her. Nicole glanced at Luca who was busy talking to Vincent and looked at the paper piece, it said "If you need someone to talk to ;)" and then a number. Nicole couldn't help but smile to herself before putting away the piece of paper.