Chapter 4

The sun went down and Nicole opened the door to Vincent's private bedroom.
It had a large bed, a tv and it's own bathroom. There was also a small kitchen in it and Nicole took a place on the bed and turned on the TV.
She figured it would take a few hours before Vincent came home, she smirked when she thought about how surprised he would be.
Vincent was tired, it had been a stressful day and when he finally walked inside the estate he went straight up to his room.
He opened the door and the first thing he noticed was the TV being turned on and then he saw Nicole sitting on his bed.
"Good evening." Nicole said and turned off the TV. "What are you doing in here?" Vincent asked irritated and closed the door.
"I haven't seen my husband since we left New York." Vincent rolled his eyes and leaned against the wall "You're not my wife."
"Oh, then you wouldn't mind if I told my father we're not married?" Vincent's eyes went colder and Nicole added as she approached Vincent "But I think you would since you've broken your deal with him, you've done business at his territory even tough we're not married, something that would be punished with death." Nicole touched his hand and Vincent remained silent as he tried to control the anger growing in him.
"Dear Vincent, I'm not unreasonable. Give me what I want and I'll play the perfect wife."
Nicole walked towards the door and Vincent took a firm grip of her arm pulling her back "What is it that you want?"
They were inches apart and Vincent's blue eyes were staring right into her green ones. "I want freedom or at least as much freedom as possible being your wife." Nicole made quotation marks in the air when she said wife.
Vincent ignored the remark and let go of her arm with a snort and she smirked mockingly "Good night Vincent, I'll be in "our room" when you're done thinking."
Nicole felt satisfied and she knew she was the winner in this fight. Vincent wasn't furious anymore but he was irritated because he knew she was right.
He would give her freedom but he felt satisfied knowing it wasn't near the freedom she dreamed of.

"Good morning." The voice said and instantly Nicole pulled the blanket closer to her. Vincent was standing by the end of the bed. "You're allowed to leave the estate but Luca or Charlie has to be with you."
Nicole was a bit surprised because this had gone very well and she was expecting some rule like that.
"My family and other men with high ranks arrives next week. You haven't met them yet, you have to convince them that we are a strong couple. Some of them are doubtful, I can tell. Don't fail."
"I'm not the one you should worry about."
Vincent rolled his eyes and threw a card at the bed "I suggest you buy something to wear next week and whatever else you need."
"I have own money." Nicole just said and Vincent answered "You're my wife. You're not paying."
Nicole raised an eyebrow at the statement but didn't say anything about it, instead she asked "Are you joining me for breakfast?"
"No. I have to work." Vincent said and left Nicole in their bedroom. "Will I see you tonight?"
The door shut close without an answer and Vincent met Wendy in the stairs.
"Hello Wendy."
"Vincent darling." Wendy said and as she smiled her eyes wrinkled. "How are you?" Wendy added concerned.
"I've been better." He said honestly and Wendy embraced him "Maybe declaring peace with your wife would ease your nerves."
"I can't do that. You know what she did."
"Vincent, forgiveness is a sort of power as well." Wendy said as she let go of him and he gave her a small nod before leaving the estate.
Wendy was right, the arguments with Nicole and knowing that she wasn't happy at all and probably would turn him in a second time if she got the chance wasn't exactly calming.
Another source to the stress Vincent felt was the crank letters he received, they focused on Nicole and half of them was even addressed to her. Luckily Wendy found them before Nicole did. He didn't care for Nicole but he needed her. She had an important role in the game of power he played even if she didn't know it.

"Let's go Charlie." Nicole said as she jumped into the car. Nicole was going shopping, she needed underwear, causal and formal clothes and new books.
As the car stopped Nicole didn't get a chance to open the door by herself before someone opened it for her. "Thank you."
The first Nicole was met by was Charlie and seven suited men "You've got to be kidding me, what's this?"
"It's for your safety and it's Vincent's order." Nicole muttered "Right because this isn't spectacular at all."
She felt a bit better when she realized Charlie was the only one who followed her into the stores.
After buying underwear and causal clothes they walked to another store to buy formal clothes.
"Do you think my husband approves?" Nicole said mockingly to Charlie and turned around in the sparkling black dress. He nodded not taking his eyes off her "Yes, I would if I was your husband."
"Good." was the only thing Nicole said and after she had paid for it she said "Can't we eat lunch here? I'd like to see people."
Charlie sighed but he didn't say no.
Nicole walked inside a small cafe and ordered a salad and a coffee, Charlie didn't order anything.
"Aren't you hungry?" Nicole asked as they sat down by a table and Charlie shook his head.
"No, sorry I'll have to take this." He said, stood up and walked towards the door of the café.
Nicole sighed, this wasn't freedom at all. She knew that she was observed by Vincent's men and all she wanted was to stroll the streets like she had done in New York.
"Your food, bella." The server said and smiled at her, he was in her age and charming with his boyish smile and dimples.
"Grazie."
"Let me know if you need anything else." The man said with a wink and then he left.

Nicole took a piece of her salad and in the corner of her eye she could see the server watching her. With a swift move she approached him "Do you have a magazine I could borrow?"
"Of course." He said and handed her a magazine and scribbled something down on a piece of paper "And my number if you ever get tired of that man of yours."
With hesitation she took the magazine and the note and walked back to her table.
"Was it good?" Charlie asked when he came back and sat down. Nicole took a sip of her coffee "Yes, quite a long talk huh." Charlie nodded "Did you mind? You could have invited that boy to accompany you. If I'm not wrong, you have his number now?"
How could Charlie have seen their exchange?
"It's good to have if Vincent isn't pleasing me like a husband should please his wife." Nicole said sending Charlie a cold glare as she finished her coffee.
Nicole didn't mean any of her words but they seemed to have the effect she wanted them to have on Charlie who paled and remained silent.