prologue

"Harry, are you okay?"

The greasy curly haired boy looked up, his green eyes swollen and deeply red, as tears fell. What did he do to deserve this? He always tried, as hard as he could, to be a good person. He never talked back, or did anything bad; never even touched a bottle of beer or a cigarette. He was quiet most of the time, but had a good majority of friends and loved everyone who loved him back. He didn't deserve to be held in a place like this.

"Harry, please don't cry," the boy next to him begged.

Harry looked over to see the blonde boy begin to sit down next to him. He could barely see his blue saddened eyes, due to the one light bulb, high above the ceiling, that looked as if it was about to burn out any second.

Harry didn't respond, he just looked back down, picking at his dirty skin. He didn't know how long he'd been in there, maybe a couple of days or so, but since then, he hasn't bathed, making him feel more disgusted with himself. Beside the two young boys, the only items in the room were a small, stained mattress, lying next to Harry, a door, that had a small toilet behind it, and an opening in the ceiling, that was securely locked from the outside.

Harry hated that ceiling opening. It was the only thing that kept him away from the rest of the world. But that wasn't the part that terrified him. The locked patch door was where he comes and goes. Harry didn't know why he was so fascinated with him, and according to Niall, he didn't have an answer either. Niall seemed to have forgotten how long he'd been kept captive for, but the curly haired boy remembered it precisely. He remembered the whole town creating a search party when they first heard of the blue eyed boy's disappearance. He remembered the fliers posted around the street corners, and the news reporters talking about the missing teenage boy at exactly five-thirty every night, right after the weather.

"Harry, you need to listen to me," the older boy said, placing his hand on Harry's shoulder, pulling him closer. "They're going to find us, I promise you. You won't have to stay here for much longer. They are going to find us, you understand? They're going to find us."

Niall seemed to be convincing himself more than Harry. It was true he was becoming more and more doubtful by every waking day, but he still had hope. And he was going to hold onto it; he had to. It was all he had to prevent him from going crazy.

"Why is this happening?" Harry asked, clutching Niall's arm, crying into his sleeve. "What does he want with us?"

"I don't know," Niall whispered, keeping Harry close to him.

They stayed in that position for several minutes. Harry and Niall weren't exactly close before the incident. They shared one class and barely spoke a word to one another. But now, they needed to help each other through this situation. They couldn't possibly handle this on their own, despite Niall being there a good month before Harry. Niall actually had a good feeling about another person being with him. He would no longer have to spend a good portion of the day alone in the frightening room or deal with the monster by himself, but also, his odds for survival increased dramatically. Granted, the crying boy in his arms wasn't the boldest person, but hopefully the two of them can out beat one.

A loud ruffle scurried above them, making Harry dig his nails into Niall's arm.

"Ni-Niall," Harry cried.

"Sh," Niall shushed, staring at the ceiling. "Don't start crying Harry. It'll only make him angry."

Niall tried to bring Harry closer to his body, but Harry only pushed him away, crawling towards the dirty discarded mattress beside him. Grabbing the blue comforter, which surprisingly looked new, but had the stench of the two unwashed boys stuck to it, Harry pulled it over his head, trying to control his tears. He thought that maybe if he made himself invisible, that he might actually be left alone.