grounder 101.

GROUNDER BASICS.

"you think our ways are harsh, but that is how we survive." - commander lexa

-

okay, so this chapter is going to be dedicated to all things grounder...

...you may be thinking, "okay this is interesting and all tay but why do i need to know this stuff in order to write a fanfic for the 100?" to which i would answer: you don't really NEED to know this stuff but (especially if your OC is a grounder) it's good to have a grasp on their lifestyle/background. even though everyone is different, a person's upbringing and culture will shape them. i've seen some fanfics for the 100 where the OC is a grounder but honestly doesn't act anything like a grounder....i mean write your OC however you want by all means whatever keeps your goat afloat, just take this information into consideration when you're writing your book!

{ALSO fyi i did another chapter earlier on trigedasleng (grounder language) so i'm not going to be mentioning it much here so if you want info on that definitely check out that chapter!}

-

HISTORY:

•  grounders are descendants of radiation-tolerant humans and doomsday preppers who survived the nuclear apocalypse 97 years ago.

• the DNA of the offspring of the grounders who survived on earth evolved and adapted, making them immune to the radiation that still lingers on earth.

-

CULTURE / SOCIETY:

• every village within a clan has a leader, who have earned their place at the top through acts of strength and ferocity and through mentorship from previous leaders. every clan also has a leader who follows the Commander/Heda. the clans choose their leaders differently, but most are chosen after the old leader has died.

• children are trained from a young age to become warriors and are taught english and trained to fight. If a child is born with a mutation, they are cast out and abandoned. this action is believed to erase the stain from the bloodline.

• warriors fight with a variety of weapons: swords, daggers, spears, bows, and fists. they don't use guns as it is believed that if a grounder picks up a gun, Mount Weather will wipe them out which obviously would suck majorly.

• in grounder culture there are some beliefs and superstitions that come along with killing and surviving. for example it is believed that you gain power from the soul that you take away. when the first kill is made, the member is honored by receiving a mark on their shoulder or chest. each mark signifies a person the warrior has killed. these markings look like welts or burns on the skin.

• grounders speak trigedasleng as their first language. i'm by no means saying they aren't good at english but when writing dialogue remember that english isn't their native tongue but rather the language of their enemies! it may be more choppy and less flowy than a native english speaker because it isn't the language most of them prefer to speak.

-

KNOWN CLANS:

Woods Clan, aka "Trikru"

- their borders a extend to the location which was once Washington, D.C. but is now known as "Tondc". their largest city and capital is Polis and is where the Commander resides.