motivation.

CHARACTER MOTIVATION.

"I can't change the tide if the moon won't cooperate. It's basic physics." - Monty Green

-

one of the main things that keeps the 100 going, is the fact that the characters are forced to make huge, life or death decisions nearly every episode. there are always people on one side of the decision or the other, and that's where the characters butt heads.

(for example, take off the wristbands, or don't...evacuate Tondc, or don't...etc)

when you're writing a fic for the 100, your OC is going to be on one side or the other of these arguments. and you need to give them a good reason to decide what side they choose to be on.

for example, i see a lot of this while reading the 100 books:

bellamy: "we should take off our wristbands!"

oc: "yeah lets do it! what ever the hells we want!!!!!!!!!!!!"

clarkey: "wait, why do you think we should take off our wristbands OC?? i thought u were a decent human bean."

oc: "duh obviously bc I'm in love with boillamy and thats really the only reason i'm doing this not bc there's a good, logical, explanation for me to want to side with him lmao"

a tip for better writing is to give your character realistic, believable motivation for the actions and decisions they make. for example maybe your OC decides to side with bellamy during the whole wristband fiasco because their parents were both floated by the council so they hate the Ark and want everyone up in space to die...etc.

also i BEG of you, please don't make your OC always side with whoever their love interest is. i'm not saying they can never side with them but it gets annoying when they pretty much just become a character from the TV's show's little side hoe that just wanders around agreeing with everything they say.

character motivation is so important. it hooks readers into your story because it:

1. reveals characterization.

2. distinguishes your characters.

3. drives action.

4. creates drama.

5. helps readers relate to your character.

SOOOO here's a list of character motivation prompts in general (not specific to the 100):

- the character vowed to never be like their parents, and so became the exact opposite of them thus making decisions/taking action they know their parents would frown upon.

- the character grew up poor (idk think factory station or something) which causes them to be bitter. through their life example they conclude people who play by the rules get screwed over, and the only way to succeed is to break them.

- the character is very logical...too logical. the bad decisions they make may seem perfectly normal to them because they don't realize the potential destruction.

- the character cares for one person or group of people more than they care about others, and so they are willing to put other people at risk in order to insure the safety of their loved ones. (finn is like @ me next time bish)

- the character is forced into making their decision. this could be blackmail or a physical situation where the only way out to is to make a decision or do something your character would normally never do.

- your character is afraid of something, and the fear is what drives them to make decisions and take action.

-

hopefully this made some sort of sense for you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you're all the best and ily so much. this book has like almost 17k reads which is actually insanity. thank you SO much.

happy writingggg! xx tay