emotions.

WRITING FEELINGS & EMOTIONS.

"Oh, a hero? And here I thought you got me." - John Murphy

-

i'm back bitttchesssss!!!

anyways, this chapter is going to be on writing your characters' emotions, because lets face it, it's pretty important.

why are they important? readers pick up a book to have an emotional experience. they read to connect with characters who provide entertainment and whose trials may add meaning to their own life journeys. emotions lie at the core of every character's decision, action, and speech...everything that keeps your story going.

the key to conveying good emotions in your characters, is knowing how to write emotions well.

-

THREE WAYS TO SHOW EMOTION IN WRITING:

PHYSICALLY

INTERNALLY

MENTALY

-

now the question is, how exactly do i do that???

let's use an example emotion, frustration. it's probably a feeling we can all relate to.

physical signs of frustration: stiff posture, rigid muscles, scratching/rubbing back of neck, strained voice, pacing, pounding fist, drawing breath and releasing it before speaking, clenched jaw, impatient snorts/sneers

internal sings of frustration: throat closing up, hardening of the stomach, tightness of the chest

mental signs of frustration: self-talking to calm down/to think straight, a need to ask questions and rehash information, trying to rein in one's emotions before damaging relationships.

using these signs makes your writing way better, than just simply stating a character emotions.

for example:

Willa narrowed her piercing eyes and drew in a short breath before continuing, "I just honestly can't even imagine what went through your mind to make you think that was a good idea."

VS

Willa was frustrated. She glared at Finn and yelled, "I just honestly can't even imagine what went through your mind to make you think that was a good idea."

hopefully that was helpful! if you're going to write a scene filled with a lot of one type of emotion (i.e., happiness, jealousy, sadness, anger, etc) i encourage you to fill out the physical/internal/mental chart before writing it, because it actually REALLY helps i swear.

happy reading and writing beans!!!!!

xx tay