33. To focus

[21k. thanks. I'm honestly speechless. thank you]

Rue's POV
The next day, I was a bit more awake as I'd decided to step into the sunlight, my eyes finally seeing the blue sky as I dragged my feet from the bed & out on the balcony, constantly making sure that I didn't step on any floor cracks.
Tap the wall behind you - or your family will die.
I pathetically started to tap.
I was pretty sure I'd slept through half of the day, because the restaurants outside were serving lunch.
I was also certain that both Lin, Vanessa & Sebastian had done that too - because I could hear Lin snore.
Which, he always denied - of course.
I let the heat hit me as looked over the beautiful view, tapping against the wall & counting. No ending, no certain number just a feeling of satisfaction - yet, that could take ages. I was never satisfied.
I went back inside, keeping the tapping up as I came up with new things to do, letting the door stay open as the light breeze would flew through it.
My phone was buzzing on the floor as I'd charged it under the night, and to my surprise it was Carson, to which I hadn't replied a single text since I freaked out. Which was, about a week ago. He was mildly irritated.
Blink 23 times 4 and he won't be angry at you.
The FaceTime logotype shone brightly on the screen.
Before I could think about it, Carson's face was smiling at me from New York.
"She's alive!", he sarcastically said. I blushed awkwardly, his almost ebony black hair curling on his forehead. I'd missed him. A lot.
"Sorry", I managed to say.
That made his face brighten up.
"Apology accepted. How are you?", he asked in such a particular way, straight to the point.
"Good", really meaning it. "You?", I questioned, trying to balance my phone on the edge of the bed, focusing on that as I blinked a lot.
"It's great - AND YOU'RE IN PUERTO RICO?", as he shrieked that, almost shouting from excitement, I had to turn down the volume.
"-um. Yeah. I'm totally gonna get the worst suntan ever", holding up my still very unfortunate and broken arm, that was still contained in the yellow cast.
"True. Once I fell asleep in the sun. With my hand on my stomach. Not only did I win the award for the worst suntan ever, but I also got sunstroke", he said, which cracked me up.
Sunstroke? Maybe you'll get that? Tap.
"Okay, okay, that beats me...", but I let myself get cut off as something else caught my attention, which got me to glance over at my door that was creaking as it opened. I smiled as I saw Sebastian coming inside, his fluffy hair even fluffier from sleeping.
Do you feel my heart saying hi?
"Ah, hi Seb!", he grinned as he heard his name, the ever-so-happy way only a one year did. He ran over to me, trying to climb onto my bed - but unfortunately failed, as he fell down, just as any puppy would. Still, completely determined to get up.
"C'mon, I'll help ya", I said, scooping him up. Sebastian happily sat down on my lap, holding his favourite train. By this point, I'd almost forgotten I was on FaceTime, so when my eyes passed my phone, I could see Carson in full 'awww'.
Twitch your head 4 times.
Tap the bedding 72 times 7.
Or else, something will happen to Sebastian.
Not a cute moment for me anymore.
"Um, I think I've gotta go, Cars", I awkwardly said. I hated to talk face to face, to be honest - when something else comes in the way, everything suddenly becomes awkward.
Sebastian was trying to reach for my sketchbook.
"¡Hermana!", he squeaked, demanding the sketchbook. I picked it up, handing it to him which made Sebastian cheer.
"Hi Sebastian!", Carson waved at the camera with Odd's paw, his dotted sausage dog that had grown a lot since I saw him two weeks ago. Sebastian waved his little hand back, flicking through the pages. "And Rue, see ya when you're back in town! Adieu, MiLady", he said.
"Bye!", I said, laughing at his sudden change from modern to 18th century language. The screen went Carson-free, and my attention turned to Seb.
He was looking at my sketches, pointing at a certain one.
"You like that one?", I asked, high-pitched. Sebastian nodded proudly. An idea popped up in my head.
"You want me to make that one?", he nodded again at my excited question. It was actually one of the dresses I'd considered for Maria. But, I'd gotten nervous and hadn't showed it to the rest of the group in school. Instead I'd tapped the table a few hundred times. If my one year old brother liked it, I should listen to myself to.
Just organise your pens first. First rainbow, then reverse rainbow, then do that again 23 times.
So, I did that.