"You have Stage 2 Leukemia

A bad feeling started to bubble inside of me, as we drove to Dr.Bartell office. I had this feeling only once before, and it was on the day that my dad, came home with the divorce papers in his hand. Surprising us all.

"Mom,I could go to Dr.Bartell's another day, it doesn't have to be today."

"No, honey we're almost there, I'm not turning back now. Anyways what are you so afraid of? You only have the flu after all."

My mom knows me so well. I turned my head to look outside the window. The skate park in front of the doctor's office was empty today. That made sense, because it was raining anyways. I hate it when it rains in Spring. Because Spring is the season where there should be sun, and beautiful weather but instead now there's rain and gloominess. My headache wouldnt leave me,causing my bad mood to get even worse.

We stopped the car and got through the doors of the building. It was a large building full of many doctors and their offices. My mom's office was the one that as soon as you entered the building, you would find it. They got her name to be written in golden writting outside her window. We went on the elevator to Floor 3 to meet Dr.Bartell. Has anyone ever told you that elevators are the most awkward places in the world? Its because your cornered in a small space with someone else, making it feel to weird to talk to them,let alone look at them. And to top that all of my bad feeling wouldnt leave me.

As these thoughts circled in my mind, my mom studied me. I quickly smiled to hide my true feelings from her. She didn't need any more worry or hurt in her life. Little did I know the fact that I was going to hurt her once more. In a way more powerful than the others.

.........................................................................................................................................................

The first thing I noticed when we entered his office was the smell. It was too aseptic, too fake which was surprisingly similar to him. It was that of multiple cleaning products mixed for the reason of exterminating every single one bacteria. In my opinion, this smell makes Dr.Bartell look more like the clean freak that he is.

My mom went to the front desk lady and told her about the appointment. As they talked, I looked up at the ceiling. It was blank and empty unlike the other pediatrician offices. After a few minutes, the nurse called us over.

"Hi guys, my name is Hazel! Its so nice to see you! Now I'll take your vitals then Dr.Bartell will come to finish his appointment. Okay?"

I hid a laugh, as I listened to the nurse talk. She was so cheery and excited, almost as if she had the gift to brighten any room. What was further coincidental was the fact that her eyes are hazel hence her name. She looked like she was a freshman at college. She still had the High School Senior attitude.

"Thank you Hazel, I'm sure my daughter just has the flu or something."

"Of course Mrs. Roberts! Erica, do you play any sports?"

"Yes, I play badminton, basketball, and I run track."

Sorry, I forgot to mention the fact that I love sports despite my high school social status. I went to Nationals for Badminton and Track. Basketball was a sport I was dragged into by my Track coach. And I fell in love with it.

After Hazel took my vitals, she concluded that my heart beat was a little faster than average. Which made sense since I was supposedly sick with the "flu". Like usual the nurses are usually shocked at my height for my age. I'm 16, and I tower at 5"11. Yup. The basketball coach further wanted me for this reason.

The sound of typing filled the silent air, as Hazel typed in all the information collected into the computer. At that time I chose to stare up at the ceiling again. This time instead of blankness an image of Winnie the Pooh smiled at me. He was so happy standing next to his best friend Piglet. Piglet reminded me of my best friend Jane, I miss her so much. She moved at the beginning of this year, she was the only person that I could be totally myself with. She was the exact opposite of me, popular, pretty and sorry to say this Jane but not that smart. Jane pushed me to do so many things, join sports, and she further encouraged my relationship with Noah. She was the only person I could confide my secrets to. She was the shoulder I cried on when my father left me and my mom. So now, my life sucks more than it already did. What could get worse? Or as I thought.