Standing in the Sun

"My mom fucking loves you," he said, chuckling as we got into his car.

"Dude, she's so cool!" I gushed.

Initially, I had been nervous, but as soon as I walked into the house, I felt welcome and like I belonged. I was instantly accepted by both his mom and dad, and for a couple hours we just talked about everything- and nothing. I guessed it was the same with Taime and Archie, but it felt good to experience it from my side.

"I told you so. I can tell just by the way she talks to you that she likes you."

"Really?"

"Yeah- let me put it this way: a few years ago, my mom flew to the U.S. to see us play at a festival or something, and she didn't like the girl I was with, so she pretended not to speak English for three days."

"Wow, your mom is... dedicated."

"Yeah. I mean, she was right; the chick turned out to be kind of shitty, but that's good, because I have you now," he purred, leaning over to kiss my cheek as he started his car.

"Looks like we both got lucky... god, I love you."

"I love you, too," he said, smiling widely as we headed for his house. "So, it's Midsummer; what do you want to do tonight?" he asked.

"Okay, I keep hearing that; what is that?"

"What, Midsummer?"

"Yeah."

"Well, it's like a celebration of, like, the summer starting basically. There's a lot of old traditional stuff with it, but that's the short version. We like to use it as a reason to drink and light shit on fire."

"Well that's... awesome?"

"Yeah, it can be," he agreed. "So, do you want to hang out with the guys tonight?" he asked hopefully.

"Sure."

"We don't have to if you don't want to," he reminded. "Just an idea."

"No, it sounds great. I'm good with that."

"You sure?"

"Of course, babe."

"Okay. Cool."

°°°°°°

"When does the whole," I thought for a moment, "'celebration' start?" I asked as Archie went to pull on a different shirt.

"Well, kind of whenever, but we could start it right now," he purred.

"Oh really?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"And what would you be planning?"

"Take a wild guess," he said, coming over and wrapping his arms around me.

"Not a bad idea, actually."

"So you know what you're in for?" he asked seductively.

"Oh, baby, the look in your eyes says it all."

"Does it?"

"Well, if it didn't, your boner poking me does," I teased. "Here's the real question we should be asking: do we have time?"

"Of course we do. They won't be here for probably like an hour."

"You sure?"

"Well, like, I'm not positive. They didn't give me a time, but I'm assuming."

"That's a dangerous game. I mean, what if you're wrong?" I asked, reaching to take off my shirt.

"Then we'll have to wait, but I doubt that they'll be here soon."