Chapter 4

Halfway through the week at work I got a delivery of a dozen white roses. I was confused at first until I saw the note. It said "Be impulsive. Lunch is on me if you meet me in the lobby at noon." I giggled at the note and grabbed my things. My lunch is usually around two but I guess two hours won't hurt anything.

Wes was leaning against the receptionists counter and she was nodding along with whatever he was saying. He saw me and smiled. "Well well well, did you like the flowers? I wasn't sure if that was too much."

"They were sweet. Thank you." I returned his smile.

He waved to the receptionist and led me to his car. "So for lunch I was feeling Italian. That okay?"

"Whatever's fine. I mean you're buying." I laughed as he drove.

We pulled in at a small Italian diner near the beach on the outskirts of town and he parked the car. He also opens my door for me which made me smile. Dylan never did stuff like that for me even when we were dating. "Shayla told me you work until like six. Isn't that like annoying?" He asked.

"Sometimes but I have stuff to do." I answered.

"Why don't you just leave it though. I mean tomorrow's another day right."

"I guess but I just like to get it over with." I shrugged.

"Tell me about Dylan." He said digging into the bread sticks that the waitress had left.

"What about him?" I asked.

"I don't know. What's he like, how'd you hook up and stuff?" Wes asked.

"We met when my company did a project for his business. He's insanely obsessed with abstract art. He oddly hates rock music and cashews." I thought a second. "He played basketball every Friday with his friends and we went to dinner every Saturday."

"Were you happy?" He asked.

"I was content I guess." I shrugged. "What about you and Carly?"

"She was perfect. I loved everything about her. I mean we'd known each other for like forever. She couldn't handle me always being busy with music and being on the road." He sighed. "We fought a lot and she got into a good school. Then she officially dumped me for a football player. I kinda knew we were over when she left for school but I didn't want to believe it."

"No one wants to believe they're getting dumped." I laughed.

"She's happier with him than she ever was with me, and that's what made me decide to just leave her alone. I want her to be happy." He said seriously.

"You know you're nothing like I expected Wes." I said.

"Why's that?" He asked.

"I don't know, I just thought you seemed like the type of guy who didn't give a shit." I said.

"I only give a shit about people I care about." He smiled.

"Well since your goal is to make me more impulsive, I think I just found mine." I smiled back.

"What's that?" He asked.

"I'm going to help you get over Carly for real." I smiled.

"How?" He chuckled.

"I don't know yet, but I'll work on it." I smiled shoving some food in my mouth.

After we finished lunch Wes insisted we walk along the pier before he took me back to work. We were walking when suddenly I saw Dylan walking towards me looking pissed off. He made eye contact with me as he walked up to us.

"Okay so the game wasn't bad enough? Now you're just going to walk around with this guy all over town?" He yelled at me.

"What's it matter to you Dylan? You dumped me, remember." I pointed out.

Wes put his arm around my waist making Dylan look even more pissed off. "You know what? I'm glad I dumped you because you're such a damn slut!" He yelled making me flinch. "Oh, and you're the worst sex I ever had." He added as he stomped away from us.

I stood there with my mouth open for a second then shook my head in disbelief. "What did I ever see in him!" I groaned.

Wes chuckled. "Maybe it was his charming personality."

"Shut up!" I laughed.

"You not a slut by the way, and I doubt you were the worst sex he ever had." Wes said bumping my side with his.

"Thanks, and I doubt it too." I laughed. "I was on the gymnastics team in high school."

Wes's eyes got big then he laughed along with me. We walked back to his car and he took me back to work. Before I got out of the car he reminded me about the party, and then I walked into my building. The rest of my day was pretty slow after that.

When I got home it was after sunset and Shayla was already home. She eyed my roses and then smiled brightly. "Are those from Wes?" She asked.

"Yes." I said simply.

"Well isn't that sweet?" She cooed.

"Shut up Shayla." I laughed shaking my head.

"Are you his date for Friday?" She asked.

"Yeah. Why?" I asked putting my flowers on the table.

"I'm going with Drew so I was just curious." She shrugged.

"Are you two dating?" I asked.

"Nah, he just didn't want to be odd man out since Wes and Keats both had dates so I said I'd go with him." She smiled.

"Ugh, I'm starving! Can we just order Chinese or something?" I changed the subject.

We ate our Chinese and watched some tv. Then we went our separate ways. She went to bed and I stayed up. I deleted all the pictures of me and Dylan from my phone as I cried a little. It doesn't matter that he turned out to be a dick, I'm still sad he dumped me. I'm not sad he's out of my life I'm just sad he dumped me. After that I laid in my bed and fell into a well deserved dreamless sleep.