3

We stand there for I don't even know how long. Our chests practically touching as they raise and fall in sync. His deep brown eyes stare into my hazel ones and I am at a complete lost of what to say.

"Mate" He whispers, raising the back of his hand to skim across my cheek.

I had a crush on Cade a year or two ago, but he is one of my best friends. I knew that even a crush wouldn't matter when we would both have our mates eventually anyway.

I can see a small shiver travel through him as his fingers continue to skim my face.

"MATES!" Our moms voice scream together and I can hear them jumping up and down.

"Do you feel it?" Cade's whole face brightens as a smile overtakes his face.

This smile makes me want to say yes. To tell him I feel it and throw my arms around his neck. But I can't lie to him. I don't feel anything. I focus on the feeling of his palm on my cheek, cupping my face, but I don't feel the sparks.

That's what they always said. There would be sparks. Tears fill my eyes as I look at him, smiling like he won the lottery.

"I don't feel anything. I'm sorry." I whisper, my voice breaks and my tears fall.

Cade wastes no time pulling me into his strong frame. His hands strokes down my back comfortingly as I cry a little more. What kind of mate can't feel the bond?

What's wrong with me?

"Alpha?" Cade turns us so that he is facing my family. 

His scent invades my nose and I can't lie, he smells amazing right now. It's woodsy with a hint of vanilla. I grip the waist of his shirt tighter, closing my eyes hoping to feel something.

"Hailey you don't feel anything? No sparks or pull?" My dad's voice questions and I can tell he is just as confused as Cade.

I shake my head no as I push myself away from Cade's chest, much to his disappointment. He growls lowly before he pouts like a child. I can't help the small smile that crosses my face before guilt consumes me.

I can't feel the bond, but he can. I stand on my toes and kiss his cheek softly. For a moment I think, this should feel weird, being that he is like my best friend, but it doesn't. It feels right.

"Could it be because she's human?" Mason asks, but my dad shakes his head no.

"Ellie is human, but she still feels the sparks and the pull. Granted not as strong as I do, but it's there." he responds.

Mason and my dad begin talking in hush tones as my mom and Sam come to hug us. Cade's smile is ear to ear and it is contagious. Jake man hugs Cade before throwing his arm over shoulder.

"Well Hail, maybe you have a wolf after all." Jake chuckles before all eyes snap to him.

"Why would you say that Jake?" My mom says as she walks into my dad's arms.

"I mean it's obvious isn't it? A human can feel the bond with their mate, but Hailey can't. The only theory as to why that can be is if she has a wolf but isn't of age to meet her mate." He shrugs like it is the most obvious thing in the world, making my jaw drop.

Since when is Jake actually right?! 

"He's right. Even if she has a wolf but it stays dormant, she will still have to be of age to feel her mate." My dad kisses my moms temple with a smile.

"So when she is 18 she will feel the bond?" Cade asks, stepping closer to me and making my heartbeat a little faster.

"Well, it's a theory." Mason says sadly before patting Cade on the shoulder.

Cade gently puts his hand on my shoulder turning me to face him. So many emotions are flowing through his eyes and I can't keep up with them.

"I always hoped it would be you." He whispered, tucking some lose hair behind my ear.

I stare at him, shock clear on my face. Did he have a crush on me at some point too? Cade chuckles at my expression, his hands continue to stroke my cheek.

"You did?" My words came out on a breath but I know he heard me.

"It's such a chick novel cliche, falling in love with your best friend. But how could I not? You're amazing Hailey." He leans his forehead against mine.

I can hear fan girl giggles behind us, before the sound of people shuffling out of the room. The only sound is our breathing. Cade's hand plays idly with a strand of my hair as I try to think of anything to say.

"My wolf wants me to mark you so bad. But I am going to wait. I want you to feel the bond. But will you be my girlfriend for now please?" I nod my head at his request, feeling my heart skip a beat.

His smile causes my already shaky breath to catch in my throat. I find my hands reaching up to cup his cheeks. I feel no sparks, but this does feel like a dream.

"Is this a dream?"

"If it is, I don't want to wake up." His movements were slow, but before I could take another breath, his lips were on mine in a gentle kiss.

My lips respond immediately to his while my arms find their way around his neck. The feeling is amazing and I can only imagine what it would feel like with the bond. 

I break away for oxygen and laugh a little at his pouty face.

"Happy Birthday, Cade." he swoops in and captures my lips in a chaste kiss.

"Happy Birthday indeed." He whispers back.

"come on." he grabs my hand before pulling me out the back door.

"Where are we going?" I ask. Even though at this moment I really don't care.

Before we even make it to the tree line, shouts fill the mind link causing both of us to stop.

"Dammit!" he curses turning back to me.

He cups my cheeks in his hands and kisses me, pulling away much to quickly.

"Get to the shelter now."

<3 <3 <3 <3