5

Pain.

It hit my body like a tidal wave, crashing and rolling around inside of me until I lost all feeling. My knees buckled under me and sent me crashing to the hard ground. Tears poured from my eyes like a waterfall, drenching my cheeks and shirt in salty tears.

My body refused to breathe and I clawed at my chest willing it to function properly. I heard muffled yells but couldn't make out what they were saying.

A loud snapping sound brought me out of my daze and doubled my pain. A blood curdling scream echoed through the trees before another loud snap was heard. A pair of firm hands gripped my face, forcing me to focus on who they belonged to.

The familiar eyes of my brother, looking terrified as his mouth moved frantically. I felt my mouth open, I wanted to tell him I can't understand him, but instead the air was filled with another scream. 

How am I still alive if I am not breathing?

"Hailey! Breathe!" The frantic shouts of my brotherwere muffled but I could make them out a little better.

More pain ricocheted through my body as I felt myself trying to wiggle out of my brothers firm grasp. My body moving on it's own to be free. I do my best to contain the pain and the movements but the more I close my eyes to focus the more I see Cade being held by Mason as they excited the woods.

My body felt like I was on fire as my mouth tried to scream, but I couldn't make the sound. The pain clouded everything.

"Hailey! You have to relax! You're Shifting! Let Go!" Jake's blurry face appeared, tears in his own eyes as he begged me to relax.

I did my best to listen to him, but how can I shut out the pain enough to relax?

Black spots filled my vision and I could feel myself losing consciousness. The last thing I remember is a muffled cry that sounded like it was in my head.

I can slowly feel myself waking up and wince at the soreness my body feels. I try to move, but everything is heavy. I groan but it sounds more like a growl, which surprised me. Someone is at

my side in an instant moving their hand slowly on my head.

My eyes slowly open as my mother calls my name softly. If I could, I would have gasped. Everything looked different.

The colors were more vibrant, the image more clear. I had really good sense before but looking now it's like I was seeing for the first time. Steady thumping noises filled my ears but I couldn't find the source. My mother smiled gently at me before stroking me again.

"Shift back, baby." She whispered as she stroked my head.

I looked at her confused before glancing down at myself. Light grey fur covered my entire body from my paws to my tail.

I shifted!

I shifted?

I whimper as I remember the pain and the sight of Cade. The sight of Sam clinging to Cade's bloodied body as she cries flashes to my mind and a big tear rolls down my fur. My mother wipes it away before wiping her own tears from her cheeks.

"Your dad says to just imagine how you were in human form." She backed up a few feet giving me space.

My body was still really sore and I was hesitant to shift, but I knew I had to. I closed my eyes and thought about my human self. I could feel my bones moving, but to my joy, there was no pain. My mom had tears in her eyes as she helped me put on a fluffy black robe.

She pulled me into a hug and her scent engulfed me. She gently tucked my hair behind my ear. Her hand lingering on my cheek.

"Do you remember what happened?" She asked softly, handing me the water from the night stand.

I nod slowly at tears well up in my eyes. A knock sounds on the door and I jump at how loud it was. My dad's head pops in followed by my brother.

"How are you feeling, Princess?" My dad says as he walks towards me.

The tears that welled up in my eyes slid down my cheeks and all I could do is try to calm my breathing. Jake came and sat next to me on the bed, wrapping his arms around me.

Everyone was silent as the sob racked through my body, until all that was left was slight hiccups and Jake's wet shirt. I was thankful for their silence. The last thing I want to hear is how sorry they are.

I never understood why people said that. Like sorry is going to make it better? And then I have to awkwardly stand there and say what, Thank you?

"The doctor has a theory on why she shifted." My dad says after a few minutes of listening to my hiccups.

We all look to him expectantly. His eyes still held so much sadness. I suddenly remember that I am not the only one who lost Cade. Everyone in the pack would be feeling the loss.

"He thinks that when Hailey saw Ca-" His voice cracked at the end and he cleared his throat a few times. My mother walked closer to him and rubbed his back to comfort him.

"He thinks that the heartache, shock and pain triggered her wolf. The wolf then forcibly shifted." I couldn't think of what to say, so I just nodded.

My mind feels like a thunderstorm. I have my wolf now just like I always wanted. So why do I feel so hollow?

My wolf howls sadly in my head as I feel my heartbreak again. Every ounce of pain that I felt for the loss of Cade could only be a fraction of what Sam and Mason are feeling for the loss of their Son.

"How are they?" I can't bring myself to say their names, knowing that it will bring tears to my eyes.

My mom and dad glance at each other in sadness before looking at me.

"They are mourning and making arrangements, tonight at sundown, along with the others."

"Others?" My voice breaks at the word. I was so focused on Cade I didn't realize there were other wolves that didn't make it.

My dad nods softly "We loss four."

I couldn't stop the tears this time.

<3 <3 <3 <3
😭💔

Thank you for reading. I hope to have the next chapter up no later than Sunday.

Don't forget you are beautiful.