17

Hailey Pov

A strangled groan leaves my lips as I stretch out on my bed.

I don't remember falling asleep, I never do. Sometimes it fascinates me because one minute I'm thinking of something and analyzing every detail about it and the next, I'm dreaming.

Naps aren't as great as people think though. My head hurts a little and I can feel the dried tears on my cheeks. What time is it?

And why am I alone, when I am pretty sure I fell asleep in Thomas' arms?

I run my hands through my hair, pulling it into a messy bun before heading towards the door. I can't believe he just left. I can't even smell his scent lingering in the halls. He must have left right after I fell asleep. My chest constricts at the thought of him not wanting to spend time with me.

I follow the sound of my dad and Jake's voice. I need something else to focus on; I need to be more involved with finding my mom.

My heart beat increases as my mate scent fills my nose. How did I not hear him talking to my dad? I take a few deep breaths before stepping into the office.

Everyone's eyes snap to mine. Everyone except for the blue eyes that I am so desperately wishing would. Thomas continues to stare at the map on the desk, drawing random circles and lines around the territories.

"Hey Kiddo, feeling better?" My dad asks softly.

I slowly tear my gaze away to look at my dad, who is standing next to Thomas with a questioning look on his face. I nod and smile softly before sitting in an empty chair.

"So the scouts are in position here and here" Jake says, pointing to the same stupid map that Thomas is so enthralled with.

I scowl at the floor but I can feel eyes burning into me. I look up quickly, hoping that it's Thomas, but he is still staring at the map. His jaw clenching as he focus' hard on something. Instead the gaze I feel belong to my dad. His eyes calculating as he looks between Thomas and I, like he is trying to figure something out.

"So far the only movement is here. It's some sort of warehouse and that is where we are going to check." He finishes and looks to my dad for approval.

"Good. We leave in half an hour. Make sure they're ready." Everyone nods at my dad's words.

I jump out of my chair ready to focus on anything other than Thomas, when my dad's voice stops me.

"You stay, Hailey." Ugh, what did I do?

Everyone leaves and the room falls into silence. My dad walks around his desk and stands in front of me.

"Alright Kiddo, bare with me for a little bit because this is something that your mom would be better at. But something is wrong and I have a feeling it has to do with Thomas. Now I don't want details, because even though I know mates, hormones and wolves, you're still my little wolf princess and I will punch him." I laugh at his words. 

I wrap my arms tightly around him. I literally have the best dad. Even when his mate is missing, he isn't going crazy like other mates would. He keeps calm and is so confident that we will find her that he can still see there is something wrong with his daughter.

"It's nothing, Daddy. I'm just worried about Mom and the rest of the missing wolves."

"You can't lie to me. Now, we have half an hour before I go kill a bunch of jackasses who kidnapped my mat- that's getting off topic." My dad sits on the edge of the desk and crosses his arms over his chest, nodding his head for me to start talking.

I stare at him for a few heartbeats. Would my dad understand what I'm going through?

Hell, do I even understand it?

"I don't know. When they said that the guy who killed Cade was behind this, I-I didn't react well." I can't hide the shame in my voice as I drop to the chair.

It is silent for a few minutes. I hang my head in my hands as the whole argument with Thomas plays on repeat in my head. How could I have said those things?

I hear my dad take a deep breath before clearing his throat to speak.

"Cade was like a second son to me, because Mason and I have always been best friends. I never got to know him as my daughters mate though." He pushes off the desk and closes the distance between, squatting to be at my eye level.

"It hurt us all when he died, I mean your wolf can attest to that with the force shift. But what you need to ask yourself is, did it hurt as a mate and lover or as a loved one? Because there is a difference." I don't respond mostly because I don't know how.

I stare at the carpet in deep thought, not really even seeing the grey color.

My dad has a point. Cade and I were close but I never really had a chance to know him as my mate. Is it possible that I am heartbroken because of the role Cade played before he realized I was his mate?

Am I just mourning deeply for my best friend?

The pain of losing Cade was indescribable. But the thought of losing Thomas is completely unbearable and has my chest constructing painfully.

"Do you love Thomas?" my eyes snap to his as he holds my gaze.

My mind instantly thinks about Thomas.

The way he smiles when he says my name; the sound rolling off his tongue like honey. The way his fingers gently traced my features when I woke in his arms for the first time. The gentle but loving way he held me just a few hours ago when he was comforting me.

My heart beat picks up as the realization dawns on me. A ghost of a small playing on my lips as my dad gets a knowing look in his eye. I'm in love with Thomas.

When did that happen?

"My advice is to tell him and soon. I hate to point this out, but it is dangerous what we're up against and you know, not everyone makes it safely home. There is still about fifteen minutes before we're leaving." he straightens out, kissing my forehead as he does.

I watch him leave, his words weighing heavily on my mind. My dad is right, I need to tell him because this is a dangerous mission.

I know just what to do.

<3 <3 <3 <3

Hello! Took me a little longer to get this chapter up, but I hope you liked it. And I hope it makes sense.

I'm sometimes my biggest critic, and the delay was from the words not sounding right. Lol but I pushed through it. ☺

Thank you so much for sticking with me. 

♥ ♥ ♥