chapter 0.5 - Cassidy

Gesturing Raegan to come to me I pulled my backpack straps up higher. Jogging up to me the group of boys seemed to be staring at her especially the one who I assume had her number.

"What did you need Cassidy?"

I smiled.

"So what's his name?" I ask. "He's really cute."

Her face turned bright red as she looked anywhere but my face. Stuttering a little bit she then scoffed glaring at the building with hatred.

"Well his name is Kasen and I guess he was kinda cute. But that doesn't matter! I realized we don't have each other's numbers." She said pulling out her phone and unlocking it.

Following her lead I pulled out my own and handed it to her as she passed me hers. Putting in my last name and number I handed it back to her as she did too.

"Well I think it's time for our classes." Going our separate ways.

«---------------------------------------------------»

Driving down the main road it was pitch black outside. If you are asking why I was out so late here's my answer. Raegan had a huge headache and neither of us had any medicine.

I was driving to a gas station but most seemed too.....scary so I had to drive at least 30 miles before getting a descent one. Pulling in to the 7/11 it was close enough to a good place.

Walking in the cashier was a young kid with sandy blonde hair.

"Welcome." He said groggily looking down at his phone.

Smiling down at my shoes I started to walk down the aisles looking for something for her headache. Finally after a bit another person walked in and the cashier said the same groggily.

The man had light brown hair with bright blue eyes. Dressed in a grey t-shirt and a black leather jacket along with loose jeans. Unable to see his shoes I went back to my own business and started my way towards the soft drinks.

I guess the man had the same idea because right after I grabbed a coke with my name I turned towards the man who was waiting for my to finish.

"Uh sorry." I said backing up and he grabbed one of his own.

Looking at the name on his coke I gave him a smile.

"Umm hi...Jaxon?" I said looking up at him.

Geez I know I'm a short petite but Jesus Christ he must at least be 6.5.

"Hi," he looked Down at my coke.

"Cassidy?"

I nodded biting my lip a little.

"I've never seen you around town before are you new?" He asked leaning against the soft drink freezer.

"Yeah I'm a freshman at Oxton. Studying law." I say.

He nodded but tensed a little when I said that I was studying law. Ignoring this movement we stood there in silence until the door was suddenly kicked open and a man came in with a small gun.

"Shit." Jaxon cussed as we both hid down under a aisle.

"Hey no firearms allowed!" The cashier shouted slamming his phone down on the counter.

"Listen here Barbie put all the money in the bag." The man said tossing a bag onto the counter and I guess flicked the safety off the gun.

I gulped looking at the poor man.

Suddenly Jaxon started to grumble a few unkind words. Looking over at him he reached into his back pocket and pulled out a....gun?

"Oh my god...are you a cop?" I whispered at him with wide eyes.

He sighed.

"Try the opposite."

Cocking it he let it sit in his hand before he started to crouch towards the cashier and robber. I watched in horror scared of what would happen next.

"Hurry up!" The robber said as the cashier started to work quicker probably scared for his life.

"Hey stop it man. Can't you just go get a job or something." Jaxon said slowly walking towards the man with his gun hidden behind his back. I gulped as the robber changed the guns direction to Jaxon.

What are you doing?!

"J? What are you doing on this side of town? Oh....Ronnie is gonna be so happy to see you kid." The man said with a evil glint in his eyes.

"Our arrangement doesn't have to involve you robbing this poor guy. I mean literally can't you just leave?" While Jaxon kept the man busy the cashier quickly pressed a button and gulped.

My only question is how do Jaxon and the robber know each other. I mean Jaxon isn't a cop but carrying around a gun. Well maybe he has a license and I'm just over thinking this all.

"So is anyone else in this place?"

My eyes widened.

"No. Just me and the cashier. Just put down the gun." Jaxon said trying to soothe the robber.

He has the gun why won't he just shoot him already! In all my life living in New York I was never part or near a robbery. And as soon as I move to Oxton I was jumping into crime and in the middle of a robbery.

"The way you are talkin Jaxon tells me someone else is here. So either they can come out now or I'll find em and put a bullet through their skull." The robber said swinging his gun around.

Jaxon let out a deep frustrated sigh.

"Cassidy come out." Jaxon said staring at the robber in his eyes.

Coming up I walked behind Jaxon my breathing picking up. Then suddenly outside flashing lights came and Jaxon out his gun back into hiding.

"God dammit!" The robber said grabbing the bag and rubbing out the door only to be in the line of fire if the police car.

"Oh my gosh." I let out grabbing my phone and dialing Reagan's number.

She didn't answer so when the police came in they interviewed us and we told them everything we saw. But I left out the part where The robber and Jaxon seemed to know each other.

Once the police left it was just me and Jaxon.

"I better go...my roommate is probably waiting for me."

I turned around but before I could leave Jaxon stopped.

"Here. I know tonight wasn't the best thing and this definitely won't be the best but....here." He handed me a small piece of paper before turning around and getting in his truck.

Once he left I looked down at the slip and opened it. And inside it was 10 digits. A phone number to be more exact.

Jaxon's number.