VII.

a/n: thank you so much for the support in the last chapter. I was feeling insecure about my writing but now I feel a lot better. I love you all so much ❤️

__________

"Oh Margaret, you look absolutely wonderful," Anne exclaims after opening the door. She's smiling kindly at me and goes to hug me. "Harry should be down right about....now," she adds, ending her statement when we hear loud thuds coming from upstairs.

Before I can ask what's going on, Harry comes running into view. His hair is all over the place and his green floral print shirt is only half buttoned. He seems flustered and his cheeks turn bright red when he sees me. I press my lips together to try and hide my smile.

"Meg," he breathes as he walks over to me.

"You've missed a few buttons," I say with warm cheeks as I reach over to close a few. I make sure to leave the top one open.

"I'm glad you were able to come," Harry says as he wraps an arm around my waist. He presses his lips to my temple and I see Anne smile at us before leaving, presumably going to the kitchen. "Remember that if you feel unwell at any point tonight, then tell me and I can take you home," he adds quietly. I nod in response and I allow him to lead me to his living room and the two of us sit on the couch. I lean against his chest for a few moments before he just pulls me onto his lap. His arms wrap around me and I rest my head on his shoulder.

A few days after my parents came back from their twentieth anniversary vacation, I was allowed to leave the hospital. I've been instructed to stay at home, but I was to walk around outside every few hours. I'm not allowed to go to school just yet because my immune system isn't strong enough to handle that. I was beginning to get frustrated and bored when Harry decided to invite me to dinner at his place. Mom and Dad were hesitant at first because they were worried about something going wrong but they eventually caved.

Francis helped me pick out an outfit and kept asking me when I was going to be official with Harry. I've been wondering the same thing too, but I wasn't about to push the subject. I figured that if it was going to happen, it'll be soon. Maybe tonight is going to be when he asks. Even if he doesn't, I'm honestly fine with that. I just like being in his company and he likes being in mine. Labeling whatever this is won't affect what we have.

"So, you have tattoos?" I ask, breaking the silence between us. When I had buttoned up his shirt, I had seen some marks on his skin, the more prominent ones being two swallows that rest on his collarbones. I think I had even seen two fern leaves on his hips.

"Oh yeah," Harry murmurs. "I forget that I have them sometimes."

"I've always wanted to get a tattoo," I admit. "I meant to get one before I started chemo but one thing led to another and it didn't happen."

"Well, when you're able to, I've got this friend who can give you whatever you want for free," Harry says as he rubs my back.

"I know a friend too," I reply with my eyes closed. "I'd prefer to use him because I've known him for awhile and he's also a survivor," I add.

"Can you tell me about him?" Harry asks. I don't hear any jealousy in his voice and I think he's genuinely curious.

"His name's Louis," I begin. "He had stage three laryngeal cancer and got it from smoking and drinking. He was upset at first but he knew that what happened to him was his doing. He had to get surgery as well as radiation therapy and while it's not super common, he kind of lost the ability to speak. He's had to learn how to use ASL, and so he wouldn't feel so alone, I decided to do the same thing," I continue.