IX.

a/n: when characters are talking in sign language, the sentences will be in italics!

__________

"Meg, you know you can't get a tattoo right now," Francis says with a slight frown. "Didn't the oncologist tell you no?" I let out a quiet sigh at his words; I had expected him to say this when I told him my plan, but I still feel disappointed.

"Well, yes, but I want to get it now," I say, unable to hide my frown. "I know that I could get an infection but I don't care. We don't even know if I'll survive this time around and I want to get it in case that I--"

"Okay, okay," Francis interrupts, sighing. "I don't want to hear you talking about dying. Let's go pick up Harry because lord knows he'll want to be with you, and then we can see Louis," he continues with a sigh.

"I'm just being realistic here," I shrug as I grab my jacket. I send a quick text to Harry explaining what we're going to do and he replies that he'll be ready. "I don't really see the problem with me talking about death."

"Yet you assure your parents that you'll be okay," he replies as we get into his car. "Look, you need to think about how you talk about yourself. It really sucks, and I know why you do it, but just..."

"I understand," I mumble as I tie the bandana around my head. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be," he sighs. "I'm glad you talk about this to somebody. Getting this off your chest is good, but maybe I'm not the right person to talk to about this. I think that actually going to those group therapy things would be good for you."

"I don't like talking about my deepest secrets and fears to complete strangers," I say with a frown. "But I guess if you truly want me to go to one, I might. I know that listening to my dark thoughts isn't always fun. It's not fair of me to just dump this stuff onto you."

"It isn't, but if you're more comfortable talking to me then I'll deal with it." The two of us fall silent after this so I turn on the radio. We hum quietly along with the song and when we get to Harry's house, I see that he's not alone. Gemma and Anne are waiting with him and both of the women immediately walk over to me when I get out.

"Margaret," Anne says happily, smiling at me. "I was wondering when Harry would let us see you again."

"Yeah, the dickhead's been purposefully keeping us away," Gemma says, rolling her eyes.

"That's because I know she'll end up liking you two more than me," Harry says as he rolls his eyes at us. "I'd like to put that off for as long as possible."

"Too late for that," I tease as I wrap an arm around his torso. He sighs comically and pretends to pout for a few moments before leaning down to kiss my cheek.

"I better better be the maid of honour at your guys' wedding," Gemma says as she watches Harry and I.

"Actually, I'm going to be the maid of honour," Francis says with a huff. "I've already picked out the perfect wedding dress, I've planned how I want the ceremony to go...hell, I've even figured out the bachelorette party."

"Wait--"

"Before you ask, Meg, you technically never said that I could be the maid of honour, but I will fight you if you don't choose me," he interrupts. "I'm serious about this," he adds as he narrows his eyes at me.

"I guess I owe you that much," I say with a small smile. Francis rolls his eyes at me before we get into the car. I wave goodbye to Gemma and Anne as we drive away. As we go to the tattoo parlour, I give Harry some more context and information on Louis. He listens intently and he takes a deep breath as we stand outside. The sign on the door says closed but I know it's not. Louis usually does this when I come over because he doesn't want anyone to interrupt what little time we get to spend together. Both of us have been fairly busy so it's been hard to see each other.