VIII.

a/n: I'm a doofus and realised after writing this that, because Meg did early decision for Stanford, she would have heard back earlier than the other schools. Let's just ignore that for this chapter

__________

"Okay, okay, nobody panic," Francis says as he begins to pace around my room. I watch him from my bed with an amused smile. Harry pulls me onto his lap--a habit that he recently picked up. I don't mind this at all and I cuddle against his side.

"Francis, I think it's you that needs to calm down," Harry chuckles as he rests his chin on my shoulder. "I know you got into at least one of the schools you applied to."

"Thanks mate, that makes me feel so much better," Francis replies sarcastically. "I swear, if I don't get into UC Santa Cruz, I'm going to shave my hair off," he says as he holds six letters from various universities.

"It's too late for that," I say with a slight smile. "You already did that yesterday."

"Well excuse me for wanting to show some solidarity with my best friend," Francis grumbles. I grin at him before carefully getting up so I can hug him. A few days ago, more of my hair was falling out so I had made the executive decision to just shave it all off and donate it so it would be made into a wig. Francis had immediately joined me in shaving his hair off and donated money. Harry tried to do the same but I wouldn't let him.

"You need to calm down, Francis," I say softly. "Even if you don't get into Santa Cruz, things will still work out. You will be okay." I know how scared he's been about not getting into any of the schools he applied to.

"I'm just...scared," he admits as his arms wrap around me. "I've only just realised how bad I want to get into Santa Cruz."

"It'll be okay, Francis," Harry says jovially as he gets up and wraps his arms around the both of us. "How about we open the lower priority schools first? That way the suspense will build," he adds when we pull apart.

"Okay," I say, nodding as I go to sit on the edge of my bed. Harry and Francis sit on either side of me. I grab the letters from Oregon State and University of Oregon and slowly open them. Harry opens the one from University of Colorado-Boulder while Francis opens the letters from the two Oregon schools. My eyes scan over the letters and I let out a sigh of relief.

I had gotten into both schools on scholarships. Even though I don't intend on going to either one, it still feels nice to have been accepted. I have safety schools which is all that matters. Francis got into University of Oregon but not OSU, and Harry didn't get accepted into Boulder. I grab the letter from UCLA, and Harry and Francis do the same. The three of us had applied to that school. Francis is the only one who got in. We continue to open one letters and I keep getting rejection letters. I don't mind this at all because there's still hope with Stanford and Berkeley. Those are my top choices and I let out a sigh of relief when I got into the latter school.

"Alright," Harry says as he clears his throat. We all hold our number one choices and I suddenly feel a rush of nerves. I know that the other two feel the same way because I hear them take deep breaths. "Remember that we'll all be okay if we don't get into these schools. We all got into really good alternative ones."

"Shut it, Styles," Francis says gruffly. "I am getting tired of your positivity."

"Don't be mean," I say with a small smile as I elbow his side. "I know you got in."

"I don't need your positivity either," he huffs. Harry and I let out a quiet laugh and the three of us take a collective breath as we tear open the envelopes. My eyes scan the words that are on the first piece of paper. My heart is beating wildly and I cover my mouth and I let out a quiet whoop as I stand.