chapter sixteen - verena's chance for revenge?

“Carnival? What carnival?” I said, she gave me a look “wow… I take back that I called you a genius… once a year it is a carnival in Venice and thousands of people go there wearing masks and colorful costumes, me and Eliza went there once as kids, it was MAGICAL!! With all the colors and the pretty masks!! And one of the richest man in town is having a huge party this year, and I just happened to… know… Him” she said and looked down on the floor with a sad look on her face, but if there is one thing I’ve learned about Verena then it’s never to ask if she was okay, she was a alone mother and she tried her best to be independent and strong, but that also meant that she never accepted any help… in many ways she reminded me of myself… “The carnival is in three weeks and as long as I know the guy having the party is looking for someone who can play music or sing, if you do a song I beat I can get you and Elizabeth to the party.” She said sheepishly but with a smile on her lips, I smiled; a carnival!!! That would be perfect! And maybe I even could get Elizabeth to play the violin at the party!! “That would be great!!! Okay so here’s the plan.” I said and we continued talking, the plan was that Verena would tell that man she knows that I could play if I and Elizabeth could be at the party, and she would go to town with Elizabeth today so that I could buy a nice dress and mask for her, she should be the prettiest woman in town, or I consider myself to have failed. And Elizabeth was not allowed to know… “But wait, what will you go as? You DID throw away that awful mask of yours, right?” she said suspiciously, I sighed and toke the mask out from my pocket and threw it out on the table, Verena glared at me “you’re not going as ‘the phantom’ right? Eliza thinks you threw it away, she would be angry when she found out that you lied… no, you need a real costume… and I can get you one” she said with a suspicious smile on her lips… well, seems like she is going to take revenge on me for waking her up so early…