six

The next day, Kumiko groaned as she shut off her alarm. It was still slightly dark outside and she was tired. But she had decided to go to school today.

Her mother almost dropped the bowl with rice she had been preparing for her husband when Kumiko entered the eating space.

"Good morning." Kumiko only said as she sat down on a chair.

"G-good morning," her mother stuttered, quickly preparing another bowl of rice. "are you going to school?"

Kumiko nodded as she started to eat her rice. "I don't need lunch to take with me." she said as she chewed on a bite of rice. Her mother sighed. "You have to eat, Kumiko."

Her head snapped up. "What am I doing right now?"

It seemed her mother just gave up, as she didn't answer and went back to preparing breakfast.

Kumiko finished her rice quickly and went to put on her uniform at long last. It felt weird, this fabric on her skin. She wasn't used to it anymore.

She looked in the life-sized mirror in her room. Looking back at her was a tired looking girl. She had probably lost some weight and looked not as tanned as she had before. Some freckles decorated her cheeks.

With a sigh she reached down to put on her socks. She was really going back to school.