The Past

Recap

"I'm sorry Catherine, I have failed as your mother and protecting you," my mother sobbed.

"No you haven't mommy, you just made a decision you thought was right at the time. I know you just wanted to keep me safe, but with the situation we are in I think a next plan is definitely needed, don't you think," I asked my mom smiling a bit, to alleviate the tension in the room. I hated seeing my mom upset.

"Thanks hon, and Anthony no hard feelings OK" mom said coyly.

"No problem Ma'am, we all were a bit heated, what we need to do is plan our next move"

"That's easy, we do what my husband died trying to do. We kill the bitch" my mother stated turning around in her chair, like she just asked how the weather was outside.

My mother is crazy
............................................................

25 Years Ago

"I will not allow that bitch to take my child Paul! Screamed Marielle

We have been continent hoping for the past year and a half, trying to escape Lialah, but somehow she always ends up finding us. I will not allow my child to become a sacrificial lamb, to some power hungry psychopath. She wasn't even supposed to be born in the first place, her mother and I, our bond was unheard of and forbidden. Witches and werewolves don't mate, as a matter of fact no outer species coupling is allowed, it's forbidden. However, one look into that woman's eyes had me like putty in her hands, never had I felt an attraction so strong. Marielle was and forever will be the one. As I glance towards her and my child in the passenger's seat, her frantic heartbeat telling me fear had taken over. One thing made itself absolutely clear to me, they had to live even if I had to die doing it.

"I'm staying behind and distracting her" I stated. The finality in my voice broached no argument, however Marielle was never one to refrain her thoughts or cower from voicing them. As I looked at her from my peripheral I knew a tongue lashing was near.

"Are you a mad man, I refuse to leave you alone!, we're a family no one gets left behind" chastised Marielle "We have escaped her before, many times we can do it again" she concluded. "She won't get my child or my man, over my God damned dead rass body" she stated, kissing her teeth as a signal of her finality. Her thick Jamaican dialect coming through.

"Baby it's the only choice we have, I will distract her while you and Catherine head to the airport. It will give you enough time to make a getaway" I reasoned.

"No"

Hmmm

"This topic is not up for discussion!, I will distract her allowing you both to get away. I will meet you both up later on", she was silent for a while, which is strange for Marielle she always had something to say. I caution a glance at her and notice the tears falling down her face. The look of despair evident on her beautiful face, twisted my resolve but I won't be convinced otherwise, this was the way.

"This is the only way", I stated. I knew her silence meant she understood, we knew this would happen one day. We had to protect Catherine this was bigger than us and we both knew.

"You promise to come back to me to us?" she questioned.

"I promise you that if it's the last thing I do I will make it back to my family.

We changed cars along the way and masked our scents to buy us some extra time. As my mate and I embraced each other a heated kiss was exchanged and with a final kiss to my daughter, we parted. Tears fell from my mates eyes, we travelled in opposite directions that day, I could feel our hearts breaking, I'll be back to you both soon I promised.
.........................................................

Present Day

"He never did come back. I felt it you know; when he died. The exact moment that bitch took him from me" my mom recounted, the pain of that day still evident.

As my mother told her story my heart ached for the pain she experienced. The thought of losing Anthony had me frozen. I only just met him and the thought of loosing him had me almost frantic, I can only imagine my mom's pain after losing her mate. As if sensing my distress, Anthony moved closer to me, his reassuring strength calming me somewhat. After all I did have a she devil after me.

"So mom what do we do?" I asked turning back to her. "Is there a way of killing her, can she even be killed?" I asked, hope and caution evident in my voice. I didn't want to stress her, after her recap of events, but this had to be done.

"There is a way, at least there is someone who can" mom voiced. However her tone held uncertainty.

"That's great!" I answered. "But why do you sound so forlorn?" I queried.

"Baby girl, see that's a tricky one"

"Let's find this person and convince them to help, we have to!"

At that time I felt Anthony tense beside me. The atmosphere in the kitchen suddenly changed. My mom stood up, even I felt the shift. Something was wrong.

"What's wrong?" I asked, feeling my mother hold onto my hands.

"Someone else is here" , he cautioned.

"I can feel it too, mom voiced. Her eyes focusing into the darkness of the hallway.

Anthony started to change, from my peripheral vision I could see his claws being extended and his body morphing. As he took steps forward to protect us from whatever was near, my mother's hand shot out to stop him in his tracks.

"This is not the time to act slow mom, let Anthony do what he has to" I stated, but still my mom kept looking into the darkness.

My mom's shock filled gasp, was what had me turning my attention back to the hallway, to see someone step into the light.

"Hello Marielle " the voice spoke.

As my mom fainted, she uttered one single word that would change us forever.

PAUL.
...........................................................

I'm backkkk!

Did you miss me.