Chapter 15: The Viking Boy's Wishes

Even though the sun had come down from the sky a while ago, which happened to be only a few hours, Hiccup and Toothless were able to find the cove's location from how the moon was reflecting off the water of the lake, and so they landed at a spot nearby. Despite the two of them crashing into a couple of rock pillars at the start, then later plummeting from the clouds with Hiccup not being properly strapped to Toothless' harness, the test flight that they took around the island of Berk was a huge success in the end. Hiccup didn't have his cheat sheet with him anymore, mainly because he realized that it's easier for him to rely on his own instincts when flying, since he managed to navigate him and Toothless through an intricate maze of rock formations without the cheat sheet. When the flight was done, they headed over to a rocky beach, where they had some lunch with Toothless catching the fish, and Hiccup starting the fire, which was obviously used in order to have the fish cooked, so they wouldn't have a problem with eating it.

Just after Hiccup turned down a fish that Toothless regurgitated for the boy to have, a group of about four Terrible Terrors had flown to the beach, since they were hungry as well, but Toothless refused to share the fish, since he didn't expect on having company. One of the Terrors picked a fight with Toothless over a fish, and of course, the Night Fury won and made a strange laugh, but the Terror wasn't finished yet, and right when the little dragon prepared to breathe fire, Toothless shot a blast of flames in the Terror's mouth. The Terror collapsed against the ground, then wobbled with smoke coming out of its nostrils, and since Hiccup felt a little sorry for the dragon, he picked up one of the fish and tossed it to the Terror, who snatched up the fish and gobbed it down whole in three seconds. After that, the Terror looked at Hiccup with caution for a moment before slowly approaching him, lifting the boy's arm with its snout, then curled up next to Hiccup, while closing its eyes, as if the dragon was nothing more than a small and scaly cat with a pair of wings.

Hiccup had never seen a dragon act so peaceful, and it was right then and there, he knew that was how dragons normally behaved, and they weren't the dangerous creatures Hiccup had been taught to believe, so everything the Vikings knew about dragons was wrong. This was something that Hiccup definitely wanted to write in a new letter for Rapunzel, but he didn't think it would be right to send a sheet of paper that's been underneath his foot for hours, so he'd have to get a brand new sheet back in his house at the village. Although Hiccup didn't need to worry about getting caught, since everybody had to be asleep by now, he didn't think that Rapunzel would actually expect a letter to come in the middle of the night, so Hiccup decided that he would write one until after he's gotten a good night's sleep. It seemed like Toothless had the same thought in mind, as he lay down on the ground and shut his eyes, but not before Hiccup unstrapped himself from the dragon's saddle and got off his back, then he walked over to the mailbox to see if Rapunzel sent a letter to him.

Hiccup opened up the mailbox and put one of his hands inside to feel a sheet of paper, which instantly caused a smile to appear on his face, so he pulled out the sheet of paper and closed the mailbox, but just as Hiccup was about to read it, he remembered something. It was dark at this time, so Hiccup couldn't be able to see what Rapunzel had written, and he almost felt like waking up Toothless so he could start a fire, which would give Hiccup a lot more light, but he really didn't want to risk accidentally burning Rapunzel's letter. With his best friend already fast asleep, Hiccup decided that it was best for him to return to Berk, and during his walk back, he hoped that Astrid wasn't actually staying out late to catch him, but luckily, when he arrived, it didn't look like there was anybody outside. If there's one thing Hiccup needed right now, it was a hot bath, due to a certain Night Fury shooting a fireball in front of them after their test flight, which is why Hiccup looked and smelled like a dirty cinder, was covered in soot, and his hair being stuck in the windblown look.