Chapter 35

Loving me will not be easy. It will be war. You will hold the gun and I will hand you the bullets. So breathe, and embrace the beauty of the massacre that lies ahead. - R.M. Drake

*NARRATOR'S POV*

Harry held Louis all night, never letting up even after Louis fell asleep in his arms. They did nothing intimate after a long, warm shower except cuddle up under the covers - sans clothing - and tried to sleep. Louis shed no more tears but Harry was always prepared to comfort him through any sad fits.

While his princess slept soundly on his back, Harry got down between his legs and planted his face on Bean's baby bump. He was turning cold and curt to the world but his own baby will always have partnered ownership of the softest part of his heart.

"Bean?" He rubs the sides of Louis' tummy reverently, slowly. "Baby Bean?"

The bump doesn't answer since in fact it is too early for Bean to kick against his palm and get him excited. He sighs and presses varying kisses to as much of the skin exposed to him as he can.

"I'm sorry for not protecting you and Lou." Harry speaks softly, not wanting to wake Louis up when the boy needed as much sleep as he could get. "I've never felt more disgusted with myself. It's my duty to keep you safe and I failed you both. You're out here now and I vow to never let any harm come to you. I love you, Bean." He kisses Louis' slightly taut belly button. "I love your mommy too."

*LOUIS' POV*

I was wrong.

Not wrong about me ever being able to adjust to a routine in life after we got back from Briarville, or convincing the police about the mental institution that kidnapped us and held us there against our will. I was dreadfully wrong about Harry hiding away the ulterior ego that came out at Briarville.

"Haz?" I call with my back to the closet door while I dig around for a decent graphic shirt.

The shower has been on for the past fifteen minutes, suddenly being cut off after Harry was done. There's a harmless silence floating through our bedroom when I finally happen across the perfect shirt. I pull it off the hanger, forgetting about my question to Harry, and pull it over my head. It's a little more snug at the front but I find nothing to be ashamed of since it's baby Bean that's making me gain weight.

My heart skips a beat before stopping altogether for ten seconds when someone grabs my waist. It's not an intruder because the arms are soft despite the bulging muscles that's straining under slightly flabby skin.

"Yes?" Harry whispers in my ear so politely and gentle.

"Geez, you scared me." I gasp, clutching my chest over my heart.

Harry's apology is a tight squeeze for Bean and a wet kiss on my neck. "What did you need, baby?"

I turn around in his arms once my heart is back to its usual pace, and peer up into the dark pits staring down at me. The closet may be dimly lit but it's easily noticeable that his blinks aren't frequent and the extraordinary green that stands out against anything is just a slit around a pupil of black.

"Something wrong?" I ask. Why is he like this?

He inclines his head to the left, then covers the distance to his right.

"I wanted to know what time we're supposed to be at the station." I say quietly. "You didn't mention it earlier."

"Eleven. We have two hours."

His eyes never really went back to his proper shade of green eyes, and the mossy emerald colour always appeared as if he was just wearing a mask for the public. He hardly spoke to anyone who wasn't me, or Bean whenever he felt the need.