Chapter 40

You broke my heart but I still love you with all the pieces.

*NARRATOR'S POV*

Harry's never anguish as he does now, pacing back and forth for what felt like forever in a hospital hallway on their third floor. He's counted thirty-seven people who have walked by him thus far, and thirteen gurneys of injured people. He's completely ignored everyone but watched everything just as a means to distract himself.

When they brought Louis to the Emergency Room, Harry didn't even need to demand anything from the private establishment before doctors took the boy away. Harry remembers what Louis had looked like, how scared he was and upset. That look will haunt him to his last days.

The lights were so bright and clearly illuminating everything that they hurt Louis' eyes. He just had to close them, or hide in Harry's jacket for the irritation to go away. Harry was carrying him and his clean pants was getting spotted with blood again and there was an agonising throb in his lower abdomen.

He was suddenly being put on something softer than Harry's solid body, not that he favoured the bed over the body. His eyes opened to their widest width and he panicked when there were more hands than necessary around him.

"Harry?" He'd called, his voice was dry and sounded more like a groan from the pain he was in.

Harry couldn't go further than a certain point in the hallway. He'd held Louis' hand up until that point, then let go to slide down into a hard plastic chair with a harsh tug on his hair so he could feel pain. There was none. He did it again to at least release the steam that clogged his insides and made him frantic. It didn't work.

An hour after he'd handed his only two loves in this world over to medical professionals, a doctor in clean scrubs came out to speak with Harry.

He left Zayn and Niall at the house to keep it in order, but he almost wants them here so they could hurry along the people for him. He tended to be too harsh sometimes.

"Mr. Styles?" The doctor with greying hair at his sideburns despite his early age, puts his hands into his pockets and smiles courteously.

"Tell me what happened." Harry wasn't one for waiting.

"Louis' fine-" The doctor starts off with. "-but we're still learning about your daughter. We ran some tests and cleaned him up. No surgery was needed."

Harry's never been so happy in his life, albeit he'll never show it on his face. He does breathe out in relief and pushes his hair back out of his eyes to make his vision clearer.

"He'll have to stay here for a few days so we can monitor him and the baby. It was a fragile time in the pregnancy but his fall wasn't so drastic. We're moving him to his own room on the tenth floor, and you're welcome to go up there after the details are ironed out."

By that he meant, pay up. Harry hurried to finish up the medical aid details and money transfers before taking the first available elevator up to the tenth floor. Room 105 was situated to his left, and the door was closed. He nearly broke the handle in his ardent attempt at getting through.

The room smelt of unscented chemicals and crisp clothing. Louis was on his back, awake and aware of everything. He wore an oxygen mask and had an IV attached to his wrist. Harry's heart leapt at the sight, and his chest got a little tighter.

"Haz." Louis smiled and the only indication clear enough was that his gorgeous eyes crinkled at the corners.

Harry closed the door soundly and made his way over to Louis' side, bending to kiss the boy's forehead and smile. He was still getting over the fact that everything is okay, and both his baby and Louis are doing just fine.