Lock 10

An hour later, Willow came back down dressed in street clothes, after telling the others to all get ready to go themselves. It was Sunday now and that meant no students. This meant they had the day to go for a family walk. The Chesters usually did this once or twice a month. While Willow didn't want to bring Aiden or Bren, she knew both Prophecy and Kazuo would insist on it. So, in order to keep the peace, she had invited them herself.

As such, she was currently holding Prophecy's left hand, Kazuo walking to the girl's right, with the other two a few feet behind them. They had already walked two blocks and Prophecy was quick to take up the role of tour guide. They were turning another corner, passing by a bus stop, when a voice called out to them, making their group pause. "Willow and Prophecy, is that you, dears?"

Willow turned her attention to the bus stop bench. Sitting down under the small roof that granted some shade was an old woman Willow recognized. She was about sixty or so, with short, wispy white hair that fell around her face. She looked like the typical sweet old lady, with horrible, decades-old fashion sense. She had a bleached yellow sun hat resting on her lap. Tucked under her arm was a large tote-bag with flower designs of all different colors, looking loud and tacky. She was wearing a yellow sun dress, the same shade as her hat and just about as old, with a white ribbon for a scarf around her neck. Around her waist was a dark purple ribbon belt with gold lining. The woman had bright hazel eyes which were currently twinkling in interest as she took in the group walking past her.

"Mrs. Harris, how are you today?" Willow called out pleasantly as she and Prophecy moved closer, sitting down on the bench beside the woman.

Mrs. Harris smiled warmly. "Just fine, dear. It's a lovely day and I've come out to soak in some sunshine. I see you all are doing the same, but..." Her voice trailed off as she took in the three handsome men who stood, a little awkwardly, ten feet back, quietly chatting amongst their selves. The woman leaned closer to Willow, so only the girls could hear. "What exactly is going on, dear? Is your brother on some silly quest to find out which of those other men love you the most?"

Willow threw back her head and laughed loudly. She glanced at Prophecy, who grinned widely, before turning her attention back to Mrs. Harris. "I'm afraid so," she nodded in a solemn manner.

Mrs. Harris blinked, startled. "Oh my!" she gasped, pressing a hand to her chest. "For true?!" The woman's eyes moved back to the two men she didn't recognize, her gaze sharpening. "W-which one do you love?" she asked, leaning forward even more. "Have you told him? Is the other one just chasing after you like some silly little puppy?"

Willow wiped at a few tears that leaked past her eyes. "I have feelings for the really tall one, with the shaggy hair. But the shorter one...He just won't take no for an answer..." She sighed wearily. "I've tried to be nice and gently let him down...He's a good guy, I don't want to break his heart unkindly. But I just can't get him to see reason."

Prophecy raised a hand to her lips to hold back a giggle, caught up in the mischief and already knowing what would happen.

Mrs. Harris stared at the two girls for a few seconds. Then, letting out a little huff of breath, she dropped her bag and left her hat on the seat, rising to her feet. "Don't you worry, sweetheart. I'll put him in his place," she promised. The woman rounded the bench with more gusto than the men thought she could, at her age.

She marched right up to Aiden, who took a few steps back in shock, confused by her fierce expression. "Madam, how are you?" he asked in as polite a voice as he could manage. He hadn't caught what the women had been talking about since Kazuo had been explaining who the woman was and what little he knew about her.

Mrs. Harris came to Aiden's elbow, under five feet as she was. But her hazel eyes were steely with determination. "Just fine, thank you for asking, sir. But, more importantly, I need to speak to you. Is it true that you have been causing problems for Willow over there?"