Lock 15

Six weeks later...

Willow stared down at the little plastic stick that showed a positive pregnancy test. Her mind was spinning, she couldn't believe it. Holy shit...

A light knock on the bathroom door made her raise her head. "What does it say?" Reaching out her hand, she unlocked the door from where she was sitting on top of the toilet seat. Kazuo peeked his dark head in cautiously, brown eyes apprehensive. Seeing his face undid her.

Sobbing, she lifted one of her hands to her face as tears began pouring from her eyes. "I'm so sorry, Dad. I screwed up..."

Stepping forward all the way into the small bathroom, Kazuo wrapped his arms around Willow. His eyes read the results on the test stick she was still clutching tightly. He swallowed, feeling like his stomach had just fell out to the floor. He closed his eyes briefly, calling upon all the strength of will he had. Leaning down, he kissed the top of Willow's head, his lips brushing along her hair. "W-well...I won't lie and say I'm really okay with this...But we'll make it. First though...we have to figure out what we're going to do with the baby."

Willow gulped, freezing in Kazuo's arms. "S-should I have a abortion? O-or is it better to put the baby up for adoption?"

Closing his eyes, Kazuo forced his voice to remain steady. "There's a third option. You could always keep the baby."

Willow blinked, pulling back. "What? Keep the baby? B-but..." she glanced down at her flat stomach. "But how? We don't...we aren't normal, Dad. Do you even know the first thing about taking care of a baby?"

Kazuo winced. "Um, well, no...Now, Willow, I know I haven't been the best dad. Obviously, I've failed horribly since you're sixteen and pregnant," he sighed heavily. "But I've tried my best."

Willow let out a brittle laugh. "You're the best dad in the world," she said fiercely, smiling up at him through her tears. "You win that award every year, Dad. No matter what," she nodded her head firmly.

Kazuo's cheeks filled with color. A happy, embarrassed warmth filled his heart. He pulled Willow into his arms once more. "I love you so much, baby girl." He kissed her forehead, smoothing back some of her hair.

Normally, Willow would move out of his arms and roll her eyes, teasing him for being so soppy. But this time she hugged him back tightly. "I love you too, Dad," she choked. She closed her eyes, mind spinning. "U-um...would you be mad if I said I want to keep the baby, for now? I may give it up for adoption...I may even have an abortion," she admitted in a small voice. "I'm not sure right now..."

Kazuo rubbed his hands down her back. "Willow, I'll support whatever choice you make completely. I'm leaving this up to you. But if you choose to keep the baby, I'm going to be the best damn grandpa there ever was," he promised. "I don't know how, but I'll make it happen!"

Willow chuckled, shaking her head. "You're such a nut, Dad."

The light in his eyes began to dim as he cleared his throat, speaking seriously. "Do you know who the father is? Do I need to go drag his ass here or anything?"

Willow thought back, squeezing her eyes tightly. She was about seven days late, though she hadn't even thought to take a test until this morning. She'd been cooking breakfast and the smell coming off the food had sent her running for the bathroom to be sick. His face dark and worried, Kazuo had rushed out to a convenience store located a few blocks away from their small first floor apartment. He'd come back ten minutes later with a plastic bag, carrying a small box of pregnancy tests. He hadn't said a word the entire time, face blank as he handed the bag to her and waited outside of the first floor bathroom door.