Lock 11

"Girl, you need to cool your jets, sit down, and have a chat with the guy," Bri ordered firmly. Willow's best friend was sporting a v-neck blue tee, along with a pair of black skinny jeans and blue flats. Her long braids were wrapped up into a messy bun on her head, brown eyes serious. "A real talk, not your crappy joke-session you like to use in order to keep men at a distance."

Willow sighed, rolling her eyes, cleaning up after lunch. She was standing by the sink, Bri at her right elbow, leaning against the counter. "What's wrong with that?" she muttered. "Besides, since he's living here, it's not like I can't talk to him at any point, really..."

Bri reached out and placed her hand on Willow's right shoulder, making her glance up into her friend's face. "I'm serious, Willow. You don't have to love the guy, just talk to him. I was sitting here for that entire meal. It's obvious he's trying...But you're just acting like a bitch, honestly."

Willow glared. "Was that really called for?" she asked in offense. But as Bri continued to just stare at her, Willow felt her own consciousness start to spark. She sighed heavily. "Alright, fine. I get it. I really do," she admitted in a softer voice. It was two days after the night Aiden had caught her on her way out. Since then, he'd been trying to get along with her. She'd catch him observing her, studying her up, like she was some sort of school exam. Then he'd come over and try to start a conversation. Ask her about things she enjoyed or might be interested in. Anything that wouldn't start a fight...

But she was terrified of that. So, even though she knew it was horrible of her, she'd twist his words until she could find some way to rile him up, to make him loose his temper.

Despite telling herself she needed to try to get along with him, she instead kept pushing him away. Further and further, praying he'd get the hint and walk out of the door. Unfair or not, she didn't care. Willow didn't need him around. She took care of Prophecy just fine with herself and Kazuo. Father's were only good for one thing and it wasn't taking care of their children.

So, no matter how obviously smitten Aiden was with Prophecy...No matter how much Prophecy loved her father already...No matter how often Aiden was quick to volunteer to help with anything that had to do with Prophecy...Willow couldn't let it matter. Eventually, his true side would rear its ugly, horrible head and she didn't want Prophecy to be hurt by it.

She didn't want to be hurt by it herself...

"If you understand, then stop doing it," Bri whispered gently.

Willow froze, her hands still in the soapy dish water. She turned her head, staring into Bri's eyes. "But, Bri, he's the one who..." she swallowed, tears stinging her eyes. "He's the one who..."

Bri stepped forward, wrapping her arms around her friend, hugging her tight. She pressed Willow's face to her shoulder, rubbing her hands down Willow's back and hair. "Shh, it's alright, honey," she soothed. "I know he is...You don't think I haven't wanted to punch him, to stab him since I found out...? He's the one who..." her voice trailed off. A lump in her throat made it hard for her to breathe and talk. "Don't think a part of me doesn't hate him for what he did," she reassured Willow. Closing her eyes, she took in a few slow, steadying breaths. In her arms, Willow was crying silently, her body shaking. "But you have to put that to the side for now...Or better yet, you should talk to him about it."

Jerking back, Willow's face grew pale with fear and panic. "N-no! I c-c-can't!"

Bri pulled her back into the hug, trying to calm her down. "Alright, alright. I suppose it's much too soon for you to be able to trust him that much," she admitted in a soft whisper. In a louder voice she tried again. "Well, even if you don't punch his lights out for his sins against you, you can at least try to get along better. You know Prophecy loves him. What are you going to say to her later when she grows up and realizes that you were the one who made her father leave? Don't you realize she's just going to see it as you making Aiden abandon her?"