Chapter 9 Calling Out a Rat

Once we got back to the base, we laid Alabaster down on his stomach in one of the tiny bedrooms. Strangers stood around him, each near tears. A blond old woman, hair in a bun, and built like a man, leaned over him inspecting his injuries. "How did this happen all of the holes happen in symmetrical line down his spine?" She said in a deep Russian accent.

Julius had not yet returned, so I had to explain. "He was chained to some sort of wheel with spikes on it."

"The death wheel..." She said in a mournful tone. "It's gonna take a while for me to heal these deep wounds, but I will give him some Mourning Willow."

"Morning Willow?"

"Yes, It's a sticky sap I use as a numbing agent."

"Were do you find it?"

"It's pretty rare, it looks like every other tree, but has a darker shade then they do."

Alabaster began to wake, moaning in pain. The nurse quickly put more of the Mourning Willow sap on him, easing his pain. He looked around in conferment. "Where am I?"

"It's okay, you are safe."

"Who saved me? Was it Frank?"

"No, it was me and Julius."

Alabaster's eyes widened and he came to a shout. "You did what?"

"With the help of Julius, I rescued you."

"Don't you realize you could have been killed? What would your father think?"

"What the hell?" I barked. "Aren't you proud that I rescued you? I finally did something my father did!"

"No I am not." He said in a threatening tone. "It was reckless and idiotic. You know what your father would think of me?"

"I know what I think of you." I said defiantly.

"You are just like your father, stupid and irrational."

"What so wrong with being like my father?"

"Because the path the took in life lead down to a road of self-destruction." He said in in a loud and harsh outburst. I felt my vocal cords tie up as my mind went blank. What did my father do? He took a deep breath then looked me in the eyes. His eyes filled with blue bright stars glared at me. "Before your father was executed, your mother made me promise to take care of you if anything happened. "

If he was supposed to take care of me, then why the hell didn't he do his job? "Well it's obvious that didn't happen" I said enraged. A hand grabbed me by the shoulder and I jumped. When I turned around it was Elizabeth trying to comfort me.

She didn't have anything to say, but knowing that she was behind me made me feel better. Tears began to form in Alabaster's eyes and I felt them about form in my eyes too. "Well the celestials managed to snatch you away and use you as a medium to make your parents do anything. If they didn't comply, you would die." The entire room still feel silent.

"So if I was never born..." I started to choke on my words, holding back the tears. "My parents would still be alive."

"Even if that could possibly be true, you were the one thing they wanted most."

I felt a little cheered up at this lie. Hearing the words at least comforted me. "So what happened next?"

"Well that's where it becomes hazy. Most people believed that you died. I believed it as well, thus I never went looking for you."

"Do you know who threw me off the Sagul?"

"All I know is that it was one of the celestials."

As I cooled down, someone caught the corner of my eye. The handsome Julius came in with a bright expression. "I have found a way to clear your name."