ღ2

NOTE: All the chapters are through the course of one day, because of the girl reminiscing in the past. (will have to edit them later)

"Somewhere over the rainbow"

Her POV

You know how sometimes, we all feel as if our life isn't so great? And we wonder if there is someone, something or somewhere that we would be better off? The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. Of course, we all know that it's the same grass and, "If I ever go looking for my heart's desires again, I won't look any further than my own back yard; because, if it isn't there, I probably never lost it in the first place.

**

It was just a normal day in the Chicago suburbs, just getting ready for school before winter break. And after today I knew I didn't want to come back, there's no life for me here; except for my brother Mattie. my mom still treats me as if I don't exist, because my new step father is very controlling that my mom can't do anything and if she does without permission he'll hurt her or worse us.

That's why I need to leave to get us a better life especially for growing Matthew. Why not leave? I know what you're thinking, I'm running away from my problems, no, I'm running towards my dreams, I am going to be somebody and when I do I'm coming back for Mattie.

As I get dressed for the last time, I make sure to throw on a warm sweater and hat to protect me from this harsh weather and also grab my book satchel. While doing so I looked over a bag I had packed up 'getaway bag' more like, for when I return home, and never look back, but then I hear my little brother come in interrupting my thoughts. Poor innocent Mattie.

I gaze at my brother in his favorite Iron Man pajamas, with his sleepy eyes; I knew he was the reason I had stuck around so long. I'm sad he can't come with me. I had already made my mind up so I just had to leave even though it would kill me inside.

"Hi Geni."

He says innocently.

"Hey Mattie, what's up buddy?"

"Where are you going?"

He rubs his eyes.

"To school buddy, aren't you?"

I say to him blankly.

"Y-Yes, I am but w-what's that bag over there?"

He was pointing on my bed.

"Oh th-that..."

"You-You're not leaving me are you?!"

He starts to tear up.

"I-I just need to go away for a while but I'm coming back-"

I walk over to him and bend down to wipe away his tears and he just hugs me tight. I stand up to get ready to leave, but Mattie runs to his room and comes back from his room with a toy in his hand.

"What's this buddy?"

Grabbing the toy he hands me.