Prologue

The moon was high in the sky, with countless stars surrounding it. It shimmered above a small river, and over a group of cats. Their pelts shimmered with the same stars in their sky, their eyes full of wisdom.

"Such a beautiful night." A gray she-cat spoke, her pale green eyes watching the bright moon. "You certainly picked a wonderful spot to meet, Honeywing."

Honeywing, a shimmering golden she-cat nodded her head. "I wanted a nice place, and this is the best place I can think of." She spoke softly.

"Instead of admiring the scenery," A cream and black she-cat spoke, eyes burning with a slight annoyance. "Why don't you tell us why you told us to meet here?"

"It's not like we're going to run out of time for anything, Poppyfur." The gray she-cat purred with amusement.

"That may be, Flowerstar, but us StarClan cats have better things to do than galavant around pretty rivers." Poppyfur growled at her former leader.

"Sorry," Honeywing stepped forward, her eyes sad and a little scared. "I'll explain why I called you all here." The golden StarClan she-cat lifted her head. "I was watching over Dawnstar's kits,"

"That's what you always do." Poppyfur lashed her tail. "They aren't your kits, Honeywing, you know that right."

Honeywing flattened her ears defensively. "I do know that, but they are still my kin and it was important that I was watching over them because someone else was there."

"What do you mean? Their mother?" Flowerstar questioned, now more focused on the former medicine cat.

"Another cat, not alive but they didn't feel like StarClan. I couldn't see them...but I could feel them." Honeywing explained, her eyes growing a bit haunted. "And when they cat stepped close; Falconkit stirred, as if he could hear the other cat or me."

"That certainly is unsettling." Flowerstar mewed. "You don't think it would be Thornstar or Falconclaw do you?"

"If it's not a StarClan cat then probably, you knew that Falconclaw visited Dawnstar a while back, he has eyes on Falconkit." Poppyfur explained. "We need to keep that rat-pelt away from those kits."

"That's not all," Honeywing spoke, Flowerstar held her gaze. "While I was looking over the kits, I heard a voice in my head." The other two she-cats looked expectantly at Honeywing, who was clearly uncomfortable. "The choices of the brave, and the mistakes of the frightened will shape the forest with unsteady paws and claws that rain blood."

"What does that even mean?" Flowerstar questioned, then sighed. "I figured once I got into StarClan I would understand prophecies but even now they remain a mystery to me."

"It means that trouble is coming." A new voice spoke, the three she-cats jump and unsheathed their claws as they turned to face the newcomer. It was a pretty black and silver tabby she-cat with troubled and scared eyes.

"Moonwhisker!" Poppyfur hissed. "What are you doing? Eavesdropping?" She demanded, Moonwhisker took a step back.

"This is SunClan business, Moonwhisker." Flowerstar said kindly but firmly, wanting to fend off the old AshClan medicine cat.

"No, it's not." Moonwhisker stepped closer. "First of all, we're all StarClan now, and secondly this prophecy doesn't affect just SunClan."

Honeywing, being the more welcoming of the three stepped forward curiously. "What do you mean?" She asked.

"I was watching over Crowstep's kits as well; Blackkit and his sister Nightkit. When I got the same feelings and the same message in my head." Moonwhisker explained.

"Those kits," Honeywing's green gaze faltered. "They're kin to Echoheart, right?" He questioned.

Moonwhisker tensed. "Yes, Echoheart had kits with Crowstep before the battle. They were never announced, but Echoheart fled from the battle after Thornstar died. They're not Thornstar's kits."

"Doesn't mean that Thornstar hasn't taken an interest." Flowerstar pointed out. "Echoheart and Thornstar were quite close."

"Echoheart was in love in Thornstar," Moonwhisker replied, her voice shaking. "Or she thought she was, it wouldn't be the first time she made that kind of mistake. However, Thornstar didn't want any more kits after Briarrose and Cherryleaf left him."

"Whatever may be going on, it cannot be good." Poppyfur stood up. "So what do we do?" She looked around for answers, and when no one replied she spoke again. "We do nothing, then." Honeywing, Moonwhisker and Flowerstar all gave her curious glances. "We do nothing, we don't control these kits; we let them make their own destiny just as we did for Dawnstar."

"What if things get out of control? What if they make the wrong choices?" Moonwhisker questioned with anxiety in her eyes.

Poppyfur sighed. "Then we give them guidance when they need it; but in the end their destiny is not ours to decide."