Chapter 18

Falconpaw rose from his nest, muscles sore and wounds stinging. He licked the worst, a set of claw marks down his side. Not deep, but enough to be painful and annoying. Falconpaw stood up, Mudpaw and Earthpaw were already out. He stretched and shook his pelt, his sleep was incredibly restful. He enjoyed the break from his night trainings, which had been replaced of exciting dreams of battle. Defending his Clan against any opposers. Feeling ready for a new day, Falconpaw stepped outside. He wondered if his Clanmates felt the same way but when he stepped into camp he realized this was not the case. He could feel despair and sadness in the air like fog. What was wrong with everyone?

He spotted Fawnheart with her siblings, all their heads low and that's when realization swept over him. He padded quickly over to Cherryleaf, who also had a dark look in her eyes. "Cherryleaf, what happened? Did Bramblepelt..?"

Cherryleaf gave a sad nod. "Yes, Falconpaw. Bramblepelt died in his sleep last night, there was no saving him. His wounds were too great."

"Falconpaw." Falconpaw heard his mother's voice, but it was calming or soothing. He turned and saw a serious look in her eyes. Had he done something wrong?

"Yeah?" He looked up at her, he had a bad feeling in his chest. "Do you need something?"

"We need to talk. Come with me to my den." Dawnstar turned without saying another word, Falconpaw looked around nervously but followed her. Normally this situation didn't turn out too well. What did he do?

They reached Dawnstar's den and she sat down in her nest, Falconpaw also sat down. "What's wrong? Did I do something wrong?"

Dawnstar let out a small sigh. "Falconpaw, I talked with your sister just now." Falconpaw tensed. Oh, she finally told you did she? He restrained himself from grumbling or clawing at the ground. "And I have to say, I have no idea what the idiotic idea ever crossed your mind." Falconpaw flattened his ears, her tone was sharp as a thorn, her eyes sparked with anger. "You think medicine cats are useless, do you? You think that our Clan would be better off without them? Think of all the cats that would've died without medicine cats yesterday!" Falconpaw winced at her tone. "It is incredibly saddening, that you think that way. Do you blame your sister for Bramblepelt's death?"

Falconpaw's whole body tensed. "N-No.." He didn't think it was her fault...his wounds were too bad, didn't he think that? "It was AshClan's fault."

"Well your sister thinks it's her fault. She thinks that you think that she is useless because of what you said." Dawnstar's tone was getting angrier, Falconpaw wished he could run away. "What you said seriously hurt your sister and I can't bring myself to believe that you said it."

"I-I didn't mean that she was useless!" Falconpaw tried to argue, he felt as if he was losing any control of this argument.

"You said medicine cats were useless, Falconpaw!" Dawnstar spat, Falconpaw looked down, hiding himself from her gaze. "To think of yourself higher than your fellow Clan cat, whether it's a medicine cat, apprentice, kit or elder is incredibly foolish. This Clan is not just warriors who can fight, it's apprentices who train, it's kits who bring us joy and hope, it's elders who teach us what we need to know, it's deputies who keep the Clan running smoothly, it's leaders who guide, it's medicine cats who heal us!" Falconpaw felt as small as a mouse, he had never seen his mother so angry, he wanted to run away. "I can promise you one thing, Falconpaw. If you can't ever learn that...then not as your mother, but as your leader; I will make sure you never become a warrior until you do."

Falconpaw looked up in shock. "You can't do that to me!" He stood up, staring his mother down. He didn't feel angry, he felt hurt that she would say that.