Chapter 13

The air was brisk, and somewhat chilly. Honeypaw stepped outside of the medicine cat den, looking up at the sky. The sky was pale, with darker clouds covering the sun. Honeypaw looked around, the trees shimmering with drops of rain, falling into the forest floor. It must have rained the night before while the Clan slept. Honeypaw was somewhat grateful for the rain, the weather had been rather hot lately, and Honeypaw enjoyed this calm, morning chill. Honeypaw turned back into the medicine cat den where Pebblestep was doing a bit of cleaning, sweeping up herb scraps with her tail and organizing balls of moss.

Honeypaw let out a yawn, her sleep had been uneasy the night before. Her fight with Falconpaw clawed her mind and her heart, preventing her from sleeping peacefully. Even after her conversation with Snakewhisker, Honeypaw couldn't shake the pain of knowing her brother thought she was useless. It clung to her like burrs, unable to claw it away while it poked and dug into her skin. Honeypaw wasn't sure what she would do now, things were certainly going to be awkward between her and Falconpaw, she hadn't left the medicine cat den since the night before. After she was sure that Falconpaw was gone, she did get prey for her and Snakewhisker but remained in the medicine den for the rest of the night.

"Are you alright, Honeypaw?" Pebblestep's voice caused Honeypaw to jump. "You're normally wide awake in the morning. I heard you tossing and turning in your nest last night." Honeypaw felt Snakewhisker looking at her, she hadn't told anyone else about hers and Falconpaw's fight, and she didn't want to. Snakewhisker told her that she should, but she didn't want to cause any more problems.

"Yeah, I'm fine." Honeypaw's tail twitched. "I just had a belly ache last night." She lied, guilt instantly clouding her when Pebblestep gave her a questioning look.

"You could've taken something for it, you live in the medicine cat den." Pebblestep mewed. "I wouldn't have minded, you're allowed to have herbs as well."

Honeypaw shook her head. "It's fine, It's gone now and I didn't want to wake you and Snakewhisker." Honeypaw turned back to her nest, tidying up the moss around it.

"Well next time, take something for it." Pebblestep brushed up against Honeypaw slightly. "I need you awake and focused, last thing I need is you mistaking borage for yarrow." Pebblestep's voice was light, and somewhat joking, but Honeypaw could sense a hint of worry in her mew.

"I will," Honeypaw promised, lifting her head higher. She hated lying to Pebblestep, she hated lying in general but knew that Pebblestep would talk to Falconpaw about what he said, and that was the last thing their relationship needed.

"Good." Pebblestep looked at her herb store. "I'm going out for herbs," She replied. "I'm not sure how long this rain will last, I want to prepare for the worst." Pebblestep turned her blue gaze to Honeypaw. "You'll be alright here with Snakewhisker?"

Snakewhisker yawned, stretching out his forelegs. "We'll be fine, Pebblestep. We always are, she takes good care of me." Pebblestep's eyes glittered, she dipped her head and exited the den. Honeypaw sat down in her next, dropping her head low. "You should've told her about what Falconpaw said, she can help you."

"Falconpaw hates me enough as it is right now, I don't want to cause anymore problems between us." Honeypaw replied.

Snakewhisker sighed. "I'm assuming you won't want to tell Dawnstar or Lionclaw either?"

Honeypaw looked up. "No, I don't. Telling our parents would be even worse." She replied. "You're the only one who needs to know right now."

"You can't let Falconpaw think this is okay, Honeypaw." Snakewhisker mewed, concerned.

"If--if it doesn't get better..." Honeypaw lowered her head. "I'll tell my parents." She said quietly.

"I hope you're not lying to me." Snakewhisker mewed. "I don't want you and your brother to be fighting constantly, sibling relationships are important. You've seen how close Pebblestep is with Cinderflame and Yarrowtail, or your mother with Turtleblaze and even Earthpaw and Mudpaw. Siblings are important, Stormwind and Flowerstar were incredibly close."