xix

this chapter is the first of three chapters that will be in the past. i thought it would be a good idea because tyler's past is a bit too complex to just explain through dialogue, which i did a little bit in the previous chapter.

the system at the beginning goes as follows:

[current grade; tyler's age/josh's age]

enjoy, rosies!!

⚜🌺⚜

[9th grade; 14/15]

TYLER WAS NERVOUS.

New schools were never something easy to adjust to, especially for him. He cursed himself for thinking that wearing a skirt on the first day would be a good idea. He sat quietly in his wooden chair and wished he could just curl up in his rosy sweater and disappear.

The classroom was loud with the hustle and bustle of students, most of them excited to meet new people and have new friends.

Friends.

Tyler shrunk in on himself, curling his dainty fingers around the cuffs of his sweater and staring miserably at his lone baby blue pen on his desk.

He let his gaze raise from his desk to look at the students around him. He blushed when he noticed a very handsome boy with a curly mop of brown locks and perfect pearly whites. He was laughing and talking with a group of other social butterflies, and Tyler could hear his silky voice from where he was seated in the back.

He looked away with warm cheeks, not daring to get caught staring at another boy like that. He didn't know how well it would go over at this new school, but he knew all too well what happened if he let his eyes linger on a strong boy too long, at least, what happened at his old school.

He flinched at the thought of all those harsh words that had been thrown his way over the years, crossing his arms on his desk and resting his chin on his arms with a small sigh.

"Hi there!"

Tyler let out a loud shriek, arms flailing wildly while he shot up straight, almost falling out of his chair when the boy with the curly hair appeared within a foot of him, leaning toward him with a dopey grin.

Tyler suddenly blushed bright red, embarrassed by his outburst when some students turned around to look at him because of the shrill noise.

Tyler's tiny fists balled up as there was a quiet echo of laughter around the classroom, even the handsome boy in front of him snickered quietly. Tears welled in his honey-brown eyes while he stared ashamed at his desk.

Already, he made a fool of himself. Now he'd for sure never get any friends.

He purposely ignored the gaze of the curly-haired boy when he grabbed his bag and quickly exited the classroom, holding back tears.

Little did he know, that curly-haired boy felt awful for making him cry.

"Jeez, Josh, what did y'say t'him?"

Josh's chest hurt when the boy rushed out of the classroom with tears in his eyes, staring guiltily after him.

"Nothin'! I-I just said hi and I must'a startled him," he mumbled warily. "Oh, gosh, I feel awful. I shouldn't have laughed.