Not a Drop

For my project. What impact a drought can have on a family. A bit exaggerated though.

Abigail was blinded by the waking sun as it's rays showered over the tree stumps and the elymus(type of grass). Sweat trickled down her neck, the only thing keeping her hydrated in the heat. Clouds of dust flew up as she slowly walked towards the water tanks. Enormous, metal-grey cylinders towered above Abigail. Engulfing her in it's shadow. She knelt down, the dirt hard and warm, gradually getting hotter. Abigail lifted her hand to the tap, using all her strength to twist it. For one second, nothing happened. Then a single drop of water fell into a small plastic container, that was located right underneath the tap. Drip, "is that all?" Abigail thought aloud, astonished by this. "No, it can't be."

Abigail went around to the 3 other water tanks, but they too were empty. All the hope that she once had, evaporated. She decided it was time to go back. It only took her 5 minutes to go back to her house, but to Abigail it felt like an eternity. What was she going to tell them when she got back. That there was no water left whatsoever. That everyone was going to die of dehydration. The thought sent shivers up her spine.

Abigail's house wasn't anything special. It consisted of 6 rooms, the kitchen, 2 bedrooms, the living/dining room, the bathroom and the laundry room. Abigail stepped onto the front porch, the wood creaking underneath her weight. Very slowly as not to make a sound she turned the doorknob. The door opened and Abigail stepped inside heading towards the back door. 

Once she was in front of the small wooden door with a rectangular window she stopped, bracing herself for what was to come. Abigail opened the door her eyes shut tight. Once the door was completely open she stepped outside into the blazing sun once more. Shielding her eyes from the sun, she perambulated to the sheep pens, step-by-step. Just above the pens was a metal shading held up by poles that were brown from rust. Slowly Abigail's eyes flickered open ready to see the horrific sight before her....... What do you think happened, before I go on?

One of the sheep was on it's side. It's legs limp against it's scratchy, dirty wool. Flies buzzed around it, attracted to the smell of rotting corpse. I know sounds disgusting. But hey, I'm telling a story. Abigail's expression showed pure sadness, "not another one. There's so little left, only 7." 

"So you saw?" A gentle voice from behind asked. 

"What do you mean I saw?!" Abigail's head swiveled in the direction of the voice. It was her oldest brother Percy.

"We were going to get rid of the body before you found saw it." Percy replied.

"It wouldn't do any good. It's not like you have secret water powers that you obtained from a Greek god that is powerful enough to blow up toilets and capsize boats." 

Percy's sea-green eyes darted from side to side suspiciously, almost like I had just found out a very dangerous secret. So I had some fun. 

"And it's not like you go to a summer camp every summer to train, and if ready go on quests that could possibly kill you." Of course I was just making this all up, but he was acting as if something was gonna pop out of now where and try to kill him. So I ended the conversation there. 

Then Percy's hand rapidly grabbed mine, when the sound of heavy breathing reached our ears. "Come on, follow me" he whispered. 

"What's going on?" I asked, my mind flooding (ironically) with possibilities. All of them dreadful. 

He gave me two words, "it's mum." The rest of the fast-walk was silent. DUN, DUN, DUN!!! I wonder what's gonna happen. Well I obviously know. You know what this isn't a writing project so I should just get on with it. Sorry for the rambling I'm just trying to build up suspense. When they reached the door to their parent's bedroom Percy quietly opened the door, then walked inside gently pulling Abigail along. However, when Abigail walked inside her eyes widened when she saw her mother laying lifeless on the bed, the blanket up to her chin. 

"Is she dead??!!" Abigail exclaimed, tears welling up in her eyes. 

" No, just dehydrated. Did you get the water from the tanks? We could use some right about now." Percy asked worry and humour lining every word. Abigail looked down at her feet, she couldn't bare to look at his face, let alone show him the empty container.  "You did bring it right?" Percy was starting to look desperate.

"There was no more water left in the tanks" her voice was barely a whisper more like a squeak. Percy got the message. The colour in his eyes faded. "What will we do now." Our voices spoke in unison. It was anything but musical.

Author's Note:                                                                                                                                                             The End. It's over, the story ended.  Were you expecting a happy ending where suddenly it started raining, or that a miracle happened and that Abigail and Percy's mum was suddenly healed. Well maybe that could have happened. I don't know. You decide the ending. 

Oh and there are a few typos but most of those are because my keyboard sucks.