The Man in a Suitcase

This is a story that I had to do for school based on the prompt "The Man in/with a Suitcase." My teacher told us that it had to be exactly 200 words, which is really hard. I had a huge idea and I had to cut out most of it (sadly).

Another...normal day. The Sun was glowing a bright gold, clouds could be seen drifting lazily across the sky. Standing in the doorway I noticed how beautiful my wife looked today, how her fawn-brown hair glinted in the sunlight, how her forest green eyes sparkled with joy.

"I love you Lily. I'll be home for dinner," I promised. I kissed her on the forehead, before trotting to my car that stood waiting for me on the driveway. Tugging the car door open, I settled into the seat. I started up the car, the engine whirred to life. I thrust the pedals and I was off onto the vast road.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The city was alive, bustling with excitement. I was stuck in heavy traffic only being able to move a centimetre every minute. Suddenly, my phone emitted a strange noise like a heart monitor, it went beep, beep, beep. It became deafening, the steady beep sped up until it became unbearable. Incoherent words floated into my ears. I managed to make out a few words, he might not make it, gone crazy, asylum, the Suitcase.

I was being sucked out of my fabricated reality by the heart-wrenching truth. Lily was already dead.