Torrential Rain

A/N Okay this story is actually horrible. Agh  I can't believe I'm even posting this. So basically we had to write a story that was an extended metaphor and had discovery in it somewhere. It had to be 225-275 words long. If you hate it I don't blame you.

Written 28th November 2018

Friends...

What are friends?

Somebody who stays by your side?

Somebody that knows you?

What makes somebody a friend?

Aren't friends just temporary companions until the inevitable doom?

After all, nothing is forever.

We're all anxiously waiting, clustering together into one large cloud. It is almost time, the temperature is lowering quickly, too quickly. I should be terrified but, for some reason, I'm not.

Miniscule ice crystals begin forming along my liquefied form. It is getting harder to keep myself up in the air. Gravity is taking hold and dragging us down to Earth, wrenching us from the sky one-by one. It will be my time soon.

-----------------

I shed no tears when I fall. After many centuries this has become routine. At the beginning, when God first created us, it had seemed like some kind of blessing. We never had to be alone, we had a crucial role to play and could have fun in the process. In the beginning, I loved it, we all did.

Eventually things changed. The past thrill of plummeting to Earth waned. It was routine now. An eternal schedule none of us wished to follow but were enforced to. It was our life now and things only dulled over the centuries.

The waters became corrupt, affected by the careless actions of others. Sapphire seas were trapped beneath pools of poison. Friends no longer exist for us. The repetitive feeling of our invisible hearts shattering every time we fell to the musty earth, was like lightning cutting down frosted flowers.

It became tedious, and over time we realized something.

We never needed to shed tears because we are the tears.

----------------------------------

(Optional Explanation)

Noun: Sky

Pronoun: We

Conjunction: But

Verb: Waiting

Proper noun: Earth

Adjective: Miniscule

Adverb: Anxiously

Main clause: "We're all anxiously waiting"

Subordinate clause: "was like lightning cutting down frosted flowers"

Embedded clause: I should be terrified but, for some reason, I'm not.

Adverbial phrase: "our invisible hearts shattering every time we fell to the musty earth"

Adjectival phrase: "our sapphire seas bled into a poisonous green"

Extended Metaphor

The raindrops are being compared to people. They once had friends together in a cloud but a force always pulls them apart. It is saying that those you care for will leave you eventually and won't always be by your side. People leave and new people come and eventually, those people leave to. The raindrops discover that it isn't fun anymore that are fed up with feeling heartbroken.

The water cycle of "evaporation, condensation and precipitation" represents the routine of our lives. We are always following some kind of routine whether we realize it or not. AN example of this is:

Wake up

Go to school/work

Go home

Sleep.

Repeat

When it says that in the beginning they loved it, it represents when you're first born and young. Everything seems new and exciting but then it stays the same way and you see and feel the same thing over and over again (with the occasional break). You want to do something new but you just can't seem to break the cycle.

I chose to write about rain because it is usually used to symbolise sadness. Everytime it rains it shows the water's sorrow hence the "we are the tears" line. When it rains it represents the times we cry. The pollution and the water turning a "poisonous green" symbolises when people turn corrupt over something that was done to them. It symbolises the evil in humans and how easily a person can be tainted.